• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What are the differences of JBL D, E, K series?

toneman335

See that there are difference series of JBL speakers. They are the D, E, and K series. What exactly are the differences?

toneman335

The link provided alot of JBL history and some price lists which were interesting but I still don't understand the differences of each series. Can someone simply explain those differences?

gwr

The d-series are alnico mags usually a grey frame later on around early '70's for Fender produced a orange frame,the k series is the same thing just in a black finish and the e series are ceramic mags,hope that helps,btw I have a d-131 which is the same as d-120 just a smaller voice coil gap that I'm thinking about selling if your interested?

The E series are ceramic and higher powered than the D (lowest powered)and the K series (both alnico).That being said,they (E series) sound pretty horrible for good guitar tone, and JBL recone kits are currently available in this form.The recone kit works on the d and k series speakers as well,but they never have the same fidelity after it's used.You can get a K sounding in the neighborhood of a D, but not vice versa.Also Ted Weber is known for producing a recone kit for D series speakers that sounds fairly period accurate.YMMV

Top Bottom