What are the different power tubes you've tried in Egnater Tweaker?

windwalke9649

I've owned several Tweakers since they've come out; combo and head /cab(I don't like the combos nearly as much as the heads). IMO for the $ you can't go wrong, they're not the best sounding amps, but for the money, what do you want?
The main selling point for me is the ability to swap out different power tubes workout needing to bias them.
My question is; what are your preferred tubes? I am currently digging EL84 s, but have also tried 6L6( it definitely gives a more punchy fender tone ), but the Ella give it a truer British tone.

NewDr.P

i prefered the one i had with the stock egnater branded sovtek 6v6s. i tried el84s and el34s too.

windwalke9649

I've been using the Tweakers power amp on its own lately, running my Ethos into the return of the loop, so the ethos acts as the preamp. I liked the ELs and 6L6 s for this application.

pepeteus

I have the 15W head. They really are great amps for the money. In fact they are very good regardless the price. I really like the clean and cleanish tones when the master volume gets past 1-2 o'clock.

I have another amp that I play more these days. And that's the reason I haven't had time to try all the different power tubes I would like.

In addition to 6V6, I have only tried EL84s (with VHT 6V6 to EL84 adapters) and old Sylvania 6L6GA tubes. EL84s really bring out nicely the tones from the AC tone stack. To me those small coke bottle 6L6GAs sound very similar to 6V6s but are kind of fatter and meatier. Great with telecaster's bridge pickup.

I've been meaning to try the usual bigger tubes - EL34 and 6L6GC. So little time to do everything...

Gtrmike54

I've had a Tweaker 15 for a couple of years. Wore out a pair of JJ 5881s, and while researching, ran across Cryoset. com. The concept of cryogenic treatment appealed to me, and a matched pair of 6v6s was only $39, so I ordered a pair. I think they are great tubes, very musical, great sustain. Looking back, I might have done a couple of things differently. First, I didn't know to request a high-gain set. These are rated at 28. Second, I was doing this on the cheap (it's only a Tweaker) but after hearing the degree of improvement, maybe I should have paid the extra $10 and got the TADs , which Andy Fuchs uses. I'll get a pair of those later, and have these for spares.

I'm not arguing for cryo'd tubes, but I'm very happy. Richard is a great guy to work with, and I have made several more purchases. Highly recommended. Feel free to message me with questions.

Best,
Mike

LPVM

I tried a variety of vintage 6V6GT types, RCA gray plates, Sylvania silver
tops, Sylvania smooth black plates.

The gray plate RCAs were my favorite up until I put it a set of NOS '74 Saratov 6P3S tubes. They are outstanding in a Tweaker 15. Sort of a blend of 6V6 & 6L6. It gives the T15 a bigger, more open tone. They are really inexpensive too. I bought a matched pair from a seller in Eastern Europe for $22 delivered. I'm definitely going to buy some spares.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
GT KT66 but they stick out the top.:nono

I have some JJs on the way.

RockManiac

The gray plate RCAs were my favorite up until I put it a set of NOS '74 Saratov 6P3S tubes. They are outstanding in a Tweaker 15. Sort of a blend of 6V6 & 6L6. It gives the T15 a bigger, more open tone. They are really inexpensive too. I bought a matched pair from a seller in Eastern Europe for $22 delivered. I'm definitely going to buy some spares.
The NOS 6P3S-E from Saratov is my favourite tube in the Tweaker 15. Excellent tone at a low price.