what are the different switching options for a les paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by minorseventh, Aug 3, 2008.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

i know of the jimmy page mod, and the peter green mod.. but there must be a whole lot more..?

what are they and which are effective, or a waste of time?

2. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

3. Hootad Binky

Hootad Binky Member

Hey! I just (like last week) got that Jimmy Page mod done on my Les Paul copy with new Seymour Duncan humbuckers, put 4 new push/pull DiMarzio 500k pots, and today I'm finally picking up the black Gibson speed knobs. Still waiting on a graphite nut and Grover locking tuners; they will have to wait.

Bridge pick-ups: Pearly Gates
    Neck pick-ups: Alnico Pro II
    I sent the guitar tech the above link, which allows the pickups to run in series (for a fat boost on a treble lead) and out of phase (great for pop/chorus/flange/delay/clean settings) and you can also make either pick-up more single-coil-sounding, thinner and more treble.

Nice mid-range bark with cleaner tones, heavy/smooth distortion and crystal clear clean tones, with LOTS of nuances due to the mod. It's wonderful!

Will post pics later ;)

What's the Peter Green mod?

4. 777

777 Member

Thanks for posting that. I often think that my LP has only one voice. Not that it's such a bad thing, but I miss the variety of tone that I'm able to get from my Strat. I'd like to get the quack/cluck that I can get from position #2 & #4. What is responsible for that sound?

5. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Don't forget the possibilities of an acoustic bridge (ie, Fishman or LR Baggs). I can make my LP spank like a tele by blending the acoustic pickup with the magnetic.