What are the Fralin P92's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Are these Humbucker sized P90's like the Gibson P94's?

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

They are humbucker sized, but they are noiseless. Lindy has developed a way to retain the P-90 sound while eliminating the hum associated with P-90's. The pickup looks a bit like a domino. I have a pair of these in my Delia, and they sound tremendous.

3. Larry

Larry Member

I have a set in a Les Paul and they are great pickups. You can specify the number of winds to suit your taste. Mine are 8000 neck and 9200 bridge. These are my favorite pickups and I'm surprised they haven't gotten more attention.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

+1 for the P-92. I think it just might be my favorite pickup. I've got them in two Tele's and a Les Paul Florentine and the excell in all of these guitars. Give them a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

5. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have a set of WCR's Darkbursts in my 57 Goldtop Reissue with an RS Historic Kit.

Which wind should I go for if I want a beefy, growling P90 type tone that still cleans up well?

Will the RS Historic electronics kit be ok with these pickups?

CTS 500k audio-taper pots
    .022 Hovland Guitarcap for the bridge tone
    .015 Hovland Guitarcap for the neck tone

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Larry, how much output does the 9200 wind bridge give you? It it equivalent to, say, a beefy P90 or a PAF? Just curious because I'm growing more and more dissatisfied with humbuckers, and these P92's look like great options (if they actually kick it like P90's that is!)

Thanks for any help!

7. Larry

Larry Member

I have Lollar P90's in another guitar. The Fralin P92 with 9200 winds is 5 -10% lower output than the Lollar. The P92 is very much in the P90 realm but not exactly the same. They sound great clean or overdriven. They work with my drive/distortion pedals better than any other pickups I have tried.

By the way, I still love the Lollars too.

8. asdf

asdf Member

If you were to compare the Lollar p90 and the Fralin P92, what are the differences, and which would you choose if you could only have one? I have a guitar that I need new pickups for and it's between Lollar P90s and the Fralin P92's, I want the pickups to sound like P90's- I know and love P90s and humbuckers don't do it for me like P90s do. However the guitar that needs pickups has humbuckers now- if I had to change the guitar it'd be a pain, but I'd be willing if the Lollars are substantially better.

9. mainsale

mainsale Member

The P-92's in my LP Florentine are 8,000 neck and 9,000 bridge. They have plenty of output and sound absolutely wonderful! I have Lollar P-90's too. I think I like the P-92's a little better than the Lollars, but just a very little bit. Both pickups are outstanding. You are on a win/win track whichever way you decide to go.

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The Lollars are not substantially better. IMO, it's really splitting hairs between those, Fralin P-92's and HD Z90's. The ones that will fit your axe without mods are the P-92's and Z90's.

11. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the P92's against vintage P90's? I have a '57 LP Special that sounds amazing, but I need a guitar for the road. Can't take the vintage stuff far from home anymore. :eek: I'm really interested in getting a First Act Lola built w/ a Bigsby and popping in a set of P92's, or having it built for a set of Lollar P90's. The though of not having to deal w/ 60 cycle hum is quite a nice thought?! How do the P92's differ from P90's besides the hum? :confused: Any thoughts/insights would be great. Thanks! :AOK