What are the lower watt tonal equivalents of the following amps?

tonepolice

Tonally, what would be the lower watt equivalent (15-25 tube watts) of the following amps from their own line of products and not clones.

Fender '59 Bassman
Marshall Super Lead Plexi
Fender Twin
Vox AC 30

I guess It'd be the 2061X (20 watter) for the Marshall SLP and AC15 (15 watter) for the AC30 (Obvious). What about the 59 Bassman and the Fender Twin? Thanks

Honestly, I don't think there CAN be lower watt equivalents. Not that there isn't great sounding low-watt amps, I'm just saying the large transformers, big speaker setups, and bigger output tubes simply give all these amps a specific tone.

You can possibly get CLOSE with some amps, like a tweed Deluxe or a Princeton, but they are simply never going to be the same.

tommytomcat

59 (5f6-a) Bassman.. Technically there isn't a 15-20 watt equivilant. The 5f6a is a v1 gain stage/v2=cathode follower to tone stack/to v3=long tail PI amp. There's not a 6V6 powered fender from the tweed era who's circuit follows this topology. The tweed era 5e3 Deluxe & Harvard were the dual 6v6 amps of that era.

Twin Reverb.. All of the AB763 style amps share the same or very close to the same circuit.. The major differences being less/more power and power tube compliment. The Deluxe Reverb shares the same preamp-tone stack/reverb/trem circuits as the Twin Reverb. Major differences (more power/bigger PT & OT's) in the power sections though.

SatelliteAmps

The 2061x is not really the lower wattage equivalent of a Plexi SuperLead. If anything a real 1974 would be about as close as you could get for what you are asking.

The Fender Twin covers pretty much almost every year Fender was making amps so that isn't really specific. You could use almost any of the lower wattage Fender amps and get a Fender-like tone.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Tonepolice -

I agree with the above posters, and I'll kick down with a couple ideas. The BF Pro Reverb sounds a lot like a Twin reverb, and it has 2x12's - it has no mid range control however. A BF Vibrolux is also similar, but not the same, and it has 2x10's.

I don't know of any real equivalent small amp for Plexi sounds. An AC-15 sounds similar to an AC-30, but they're very different amps, so it sorta depends on which sound the AC-30 has that you're trying to cop ...

There's no substitute for a Tweed Bassman (GRIN), but other tweed amps like a Tweed Deluxe have similar gain sounds, but not near as much headroom, and again it's 6V6 (Tweed Deluxe) v 6L6 (Tweed Bassman). The circuit is defferent as Tommytomcat wrote.

Dana O.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Tonally, what would be the lower watt equivalent (15-25 tube watts) of the following amps from their own line of products and not clones.

Fender '59 Bassman
Marshall Super Lead Plexi
Fender Twin
Vox AC 30

I guess It'd be the 2061X (20 watter) for the Marshall SLP and AC15 (15 watter) for the AC30 (Obvious). What about the 59 Bassman and the Fender Twin? Thanks
I guess I'd say, too, that that's the million dollar question - what amps sound like those classics you've mentioned, but aren't as loud or heavy?

The first guy who makes an amp that sounds and feels like a Tweed Bassman, but weighs 30 lbs, has 2 channels and a master volume - that guy will make a lot of money in a hurry! So will the guy that makes a 30 lb Plexi combo with the features I mentioned.

I should say, the 2061X is a cool amp, but it doesn't sound or feel like a Plexi ...

Good Luck, Dana O.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom