What are the more highend/boutique equivolents of the Peavey Classic 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BattleAngel, Oct 24, 2008.

1. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

My band often doesn't get more than a line/check before ripping into our set, and as such, we have tried to keep our gear set up as brainless as possible... well, our bass player does also play taurus pedals and we both use keyboards w/ a bunch of custom samples, so it's not totally brainless.

My band expects one mic per player and about 12 seconds of riffing to get a level, which means that multi-amp rigs are out of the running for us until our career progresses further. So this requires us to use amps that can either channel switch, or a 4-input style head that we can set cleaner on one channel.

I recently purchased a high-end amp that required an AB pedal to switch channels - it's amazing looking, by the far the most beautiful amp I have seen with my own two eyes, but the price increase is, in my not always humble opinion, not in good measure to how much better sounding it actually is than a run-of-the-mill amp (at least, for my playing style, which is more about impact and change on a dime whackiness than it is about long evocative solos that splooge harmonic content). It is clearly a tone upgrade, but not enough to warrant the price and there are a lot of unusable tones. I'm also less than thrilled with the 4-input style head for getting two fairly distinct sounds, which I need.

To date, the amp that has made the most sense for me in terms of being able to set-and-forget and just focus on playing/emoting has been the Peavey Classic 50. Using this rig and a great pedal board, I have been able to get usable tones that may not be angelic, but that definitely get the job done and convey the character of my playing to the crowd. It's the only amp that I've been able to gig with night after night and never worry if I'm going to be able to do my thing. I literally can't make this thing sound bad - it's idiot proof, so long as you know what you're doing on the fretboard.

That said, I'm still a tone-chaser in recovery and if there is an amp out there that will give my tone (and thus my band's sonic competativeness) a leg up over the Peavey, while still accomplishing what the peavey does (clean/distortion/reverb/very normal sounding eq), I'd really love to step it up.

So what would you all say are the boutique/high-end replacements for an amp like this? What's got a great reverb, a great clean that stays mostly clean but will give up a little juice, and a distortion setting that has some of that nice drippy-harmonic thing going on? Most importantly, the EQ section has to be fairly brainless -

One thing that is NOT a consideration is looks. Let's get that completely out of the equation. And let's try to stay at or under $2k used for a head. I'll be using an open back 2x12 most likely.

2. mobis8

mobis8 Member

For a classic 50 style sound, have you tried any of the Buddah stuff?

3. Squatch

Squatch Member

Yeah I'd guess a Buddah or a Bogner for great cleans, great OD, great verb, and independent channel switching/tones :AOK.... but then again, I don't think they really sound much like a classic 50... maybe i should keep my fingers quiet!

4. plain-boy

plain-boy Member

It sounds to me like you should stick with the Peavey Classic and save your money.

5. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

haha well obviously I'm not trying to cop the Peavey sound - it doesn't have a signature 'sound' so far as I can tell, it just has a feature set that works and sounds okay. I've actually got a Budda SD30 combo in storage that I suppose I should play around with some more.

6. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

This is the list I've come up with today-

Tone King, Two Rock Emerald Pro, Bogner Shiva, Knucklehead 55 Reverb, Reeves Custom 30, Carr Slant6 - can you all think of anything else along these lines?

7. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I would add the Koch Twintone to BattleAngel's list...

8. madstrat

madstrat Member

not sure how much gain you'll need;

but for $2k- my choice would be the reeves custom lead-

a different take on a 4 hole amp w/master vol and power scaling

top notch build and killer service

http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=38

or maybe a used shiva if you have to have 2 channels?

i had the 2x12 c50 and...well ..modified it, then sold it...it was so-so

9. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

The boutique version of the Classic 50 is the Classic 50 with Weber Blue Dogs in it. Best working man's gigging amp ever.