What are the necessary steps to try out a new OD or distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sandro, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sandro

Sandro Member

It could be confusing to how and where to start to try out a new OD or Distirtion box there is a precise way to do it? If so tell us, if not, tell us how you do it.

Sandro

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

for me...if it looks cool and has good reviews...
    buy it
    add it to my rig
    try it out, move it around, tweak all the knobs until it either sounds great or gets sold or traded later on,or sits on a shelf waiting for its day...

Ive plugged similar to mine guitars into similar to mine amps at guitar center and tried out pedals, Ive listened to soundclips until I was deaf and drooling, read reviews until my eyes bled, but until I get the pedal on my board, through the rest of my pedals, guitar, and amp, and really play it I have little idea whether ot not it will be a hit or miss...

but for me buying, trying, and collecting dirt is fun...and whats sounds crap today could be a winner two years from now through a different amp or guitar...

3. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

I'm afraid, for me, other than buying it and trying it out: 1. at home and then 2. at a gig, I have found that the sound is just too different through other gear.

When I try it out at home I just play a few numbers through at different settings. If it sounds good, it goes on the board, to the gig where it really goes through it's paces - band mix, louder sound etc. Two gigs is usually all I need. After the first iI usually know if it's a keeper. So a total of probably 2-3 hours in all.

4. IRG

IRG Member

Here's what I did recently, thanks to the guys at proguitarshop.com. I searched their site, and listen to a lot of samples of overdrive pedals. A lot. I couldn't make up my mind, and the owner told me to order a bunch, and try them all out at home, and see which one I liked, and I had 45 days to send the others back (as long as they are in new condition). Worked great for me, I ended up with a Box of Rock, and I could easily have kept them all. I was out $15 for shipping, otherwise it was a great way of demoing pedals at home, and none of them I could have purchased locally. Worked for me.

5. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

how much gain does it have. does it have a tone control, does it work. what happens when i crank the level all the way up. is it overly noisy. does it have usable tones at all levels of gain and output. ok done.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i think this sums it all up!

Also add how it work with your band and how does it feel in your hands.

Great post the one by SH!

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Plug it in
    twiddle knobs
    Do you like it

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Here's what I do assuming I already bought it.

1. Set pedal for unity gain, I try to mak ethe pedal sound as close to the amp (no tonal coloration) as possible, good for overdrives, boosters and fuzzes only. How neutral is it? is it tranparent or is there always something which colors the tone.

2. After this, I see how much boost this pedal can dish out, if using for cleaner tones or boosts, how much of a volume increase can i get from it. If you want to use it as a boost an d the volume jump isn't there this could be a problem.

3. I then check for gain or distortion output, can I go from barely anything to meltdown or is it something less then this. More range can be good because it can eliminate multiple pedals that do almost the same thing. The pedal needs to sound good throughout the entire range otherwise it loses points for me.

4. How are the tone controls or is it just one and if so is it powerful enough to do the job? I really like the idea of having a bass and treble control but I can make do with a single control as long as the voicing is correct.

5. If I like everything so far I see how it may interact with another pedal. I needed to do this when looking for a booster with my Fulldrive. I tried 4 pedals, RC Booster, TIM, Pharoah class A boost and Red Snapper. I was looking to get my Fulldrive to really sing, The RC Booster and TIM worked the best, the Red Snapper actually decreased the singing ability. In the end I liked what the TIM did the best. This is one possible aspect of deciding on what you may need to do.