What are the "no brainer" pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erikzen, Dec 16, 2019.

1. erikzen

erikzen Member

I actually have a Danelctro Fab Flanger that I bought in a Kissimmee pawn shop. I don't think I've ever actually plugged it in. I think I paid $5 so it should be excellent!

2. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Add to the list...

MI Audio Crunch Box

3. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

For me it would be:
    • Fender outboard or amp style spring reverb - There is some daylight between the two but either one will suit me fine for the effect I lean on the most. Currently I have a Surfy Industries SurfyBear Metal pedal into an amp with spring reverb for two different spring tonal options.
    • Klone - I don't use it as much these days because current amp sounds great on its own, but a fat cleanish boost like a klone is a lifesaver for when my tone seems a little lifeless or if I need that fat push over the edge.
    • EHX Deluxe Memory Man - My favorite pedal delay and an instrument all unto itself. This is the delay that taught me to love delays. I also have a real tape delay now that I also lean on, but the DMM is indispensable.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Madrone likes this.
  4. Fat tone79

Fat tone79 Supporting Member

MXR CC
    Boss DD7
    TS 9 or 808
    Prince of Tone

5. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

a delay... whatever inspires

6. johnnyjj

johnnyjj Member

I like (and own) the RMC (10) wah, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a 'no-brainer' pedal only because its effect is so concentrated in the toe position that it takes some practice to use it well (it was a big change for me from stock VOX and Crybaby wahs). Some people expect a wah to have a much more obvious sweep across the full range, and I've indeed read of instances where new buyers think their RMC wah is broken (or wrongly configured) when they first plug it in.

7. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

:agree

Also the smallsound/bigsound Mini is worth every penny at $150 or less.

8. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

9. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

TU-3
    B.B. Preamp
    Wampler Plexi Drive

10. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

Maybe not everyone knows this, but a compressor is a must. I mean, you can get by without one, but why would you want to? Set subtle and always on, it improves everything down the chain, and feels better playing too.

My pick is the Xotic SP. Bought it twice in my life. Selling it the first time was a misstep for sure.

11. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Boss CE-2W
    Analogman TS-9
    Pete Cornish Line Driver (I know, I know, trust me it's worth it)
    Dyna Comp (block label, script, new, old, doesn't matter. you never know when you might need the squish)

12. shshsh

shshsh Member

Yes! I have that one, too. Very versatile!

Tabor likes this.
  13. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

14. burton56

burton56 Member

Not sure about “no brainer” pedals. How about “brainer” pedals?

ErichA and LimehouseBlues like this.
  15. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

In the G1XFour form factor you get pretty much all this plus an expression pedal which is very useful. I cannot believe how great the wahs sound and work. The verbs, delays, comps, EQs and all the modulation effects are quite good ("no brainers" for the price). There are even some very usable drives, including a klone, an RC booster clone, a Sweet Honey clone, and a really good RAT.

Even if you only use it as combination tuner, EQ, and volume pedal, and backup amp/cab sim it's worth the price and board real estate.

16. sloanfiske

sloanfiske Member

EQD Dispatch Master
    ZVEX SHO

This is assuming you like all the pedals you already have. SHO at the start of the chain, DM at the end.

Spider Mark likes this.
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Most pedals are pretty brainer. Matching pedals with amps and guitars and style of music is pretty much what this forum is about. That being said, I think the Diamond Compressor is pretty no-brainer. It just subtly makes everything a bit better.

awallace likes this.
  18. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

Sort of, except for some of us the list is pretty endless. I'm assuming you mean our favourite three players. For me that's like asking me to choose which of my children I prefer; an impossible question. If you are a guitarist you can pick up something from other guitarists, no matter how good or bad they are or you are. Too many guitarists have influenced my playing; from Hendrix, Page, and Blackmore, to Fripp, Holdsworth, Belew, and Eddie Van, and on... and I ain't going to put Joe Pass on the scrapheap, never mind Charlie Christian, John McLauchlin et al...

In reality, I could probably come up with groups of three "favourite" guitarists for days on end. Paco de Luca? How many folk have listened to Kazuhito Yamashita's take on "Pictures at an Exhibition"? If you want to hear jaw-dropping guitar where do you put Stanley Jordan?

This is a site where guitarists congregate. Lots of us will be pretty universalist in our liking for other players. Some will be otherwise and have definite favourites.

I have two Strats. That may define me better than any concept of specific musical tastes. And I play everything from Prog-Metal to R 'n' B and Reggae, with some exceptions for deep genre work in country, metal, classical, or flamenco.

I'm a unchained guitarist; I'll give it a go and hope I can keep up. (The only one I really came a cropper with was trying to play with a Klezmer band; I didn't have the necessary cultural referents. They knew all the tunes backwards and I was just reading; sometimes a bar behind, alas.) I've yet to play with any Malian musicians, for example, but it's on the list. If anyone thinks I'm being deliberately multicultural and PC or something may I remind them that learning other cultures' approach to music certainly didn't hurt Pagey. Or for that matter any of the white chaps from London who were influenced by, or stole from the culture of Black Americans. I mean to say, when Surf Music in the US was pioneered by a Lebanese chap playing Middle-Eastern scales you have to accept that we can take it from anywhere and make it our own.

BTW I love Nile Rogers, Andy Summers, and Johnny Marr too, but not exclusively.

ErichA likes this.
  19. jorgeteix

jorgeteix Member

KoT
    Soul Food
    Flint
    Carbon Copy
    M5

20. Woowoo

Woowoo Member

I have 5 of them on my pedalboard, so couldn't agree more! (Ok, not exactly a Rat, but a variant still).
    [​IMG]

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.