What are the Tube Pedals that have blown you away?

JasonElGato

2 for me. Kingsley Constable is a stunning Plexi preamp. Hermida NuValve is also a great Marshall sounding overdrive. Works great as an overdrive channel with a clean Marshall. One of the few pedals I own two of. And will buy more if I see them

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
Did you use the BlackBird into the front an amp? If so which amp and how’d it work out? I’ve tried a Kingsley Preamp that didn’t work well FOA, which has me hesitating about grabbing the BB (not to get caught up on aesthetics but that thing is seriously like the 1,000$ black leather jacket of pedals)
I run my Blackbird straight in to my Mesa Mark IV (clean channel). Sounds great. I also run my Kingsley Jester into it ... also sounds great.

I also have an AMT ss11A which gets some very nice Marshally tones.

Pete Dabell

A very underrated pedal is the Biyang OTD 100 valve overdrive, when I opened it up to swap the valve for an electroharmonix ecc83 I was very impressed with the build quality, not a heavy distortion but a very articulate overdrive, translated all your picking nuances perfectly! The Radial Tonebone Trimode is a very good valve overdrive and it also sounds good at low volumes - good for recording!

Hari Seldon

I have used a Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic for many years. My primary gigging amp is a Fender Twin Reverb II. Like most Twins, it has a great clean sound, but not much in the way of dirty tones. Putting the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic in front of my Twin effectively creates an all-tube three channel amp configuration: Super crunchy on the Twin Tube's lead channel, creamy distortion on the rhythm channel, and sparkling clean with the pedal in true by-pass. This pedal is simple to use, sounds awesome, and is built like a tank.
Yes, in a way. I used it some years and liked the tone very much. But I had three of them - one died early, the second made scratches when turning pots, and the third was my security exemplar. All three sounded different.
I got all of them modded by tone hunter in cologne, which improved the sound considerably.
But for the price they are unreliable, and some repairs are impossible. The 9V -> 200V transformer died and it was impossible to find a replacement. The pots are non standard and cheap. Etc.
So I quit using them. The SIB CUDA is much better.

Custom50

I have a Verellen Skyhammer Preamp pedal I really love too.

I hadn't used it in a bit and plugged into it tonight for the first time in a while and instantly loved it.

It is gigantic and sounds gigantic.

dg87

yeah, its one of the reasons i have it on the board.
I get good med-high gain tones from the Harlot when boosted, or the Jouster. But both are more in your hard rock style than being a good, fat classic metal tone.

The Blackbird's classic channel, once you get it dialled in, run FOA into an amp with some good clear cleans (think AC30 or a clean BF...i use my SLO) is great.
Has such a rich high gain tone to it. Like a nice mix between the SLO and Dual Rec.
I got one because of you! There was one for sale locally for an ok price with some JAN-GE 12AX7WA tubes in it. Tried it through my CabM and it sounds great! Goes higher gain than what I though and really happy about that. Compared to the Tubesteader, the clean on the Blacbird are a lot more BF (scooped), the Tubesteader has more robust clean. Both are really great pedals. I use the Tubesteader for lower gain stuff. Have yet to put the Blackbird in front of an amp! Family life is pretty busy! How do you use your Fieebottle?

TapeEchoes

I recently acquired a Tube Works Tube Driver (9v 3-knob version) and it’s actually really good. It sounds like I’ve destroyed my amp. I love it.

scotty31

I got one because of you! There was one for sale locally for an ok price with some JAN-GE 12AX7WA tubes in it. Tried it through my CabM and it sounds great! Goes higher gain than what I though and really happy about that. Compared to the Tubesteader, the clean on the Blacbird are a lot more BF (scooped), the Tubesteader has more robust clean. Both are really great pedals. I use the Tubesteader for lower gain stuff. Have yet to put the Blackbird in front of an amp! Family life is pretty busy! How do you use your Fieebottle?
FB is my primary boost.

Will change the Z switch based on axe/amp setup & move the boost/tone around based on what i'm trying to do
Probably the last pedal on that board i'd ever sell.

Into a mostly clean 6L6 amp, you will get fat Mesa-esque tones on the Classic side.
Esp if you crank it.
Into something like an AC30, it gels nicely with the chime from the amp across both creamy & classic channels, and everything from low to high gain.

It's a great FOA tool and really good with the CAB (i have the non-pedal version). If i go via the CAB, ill tend to use its clean channels as a platform for the Kingsleys to hit, or the the drive channels on their own...with a little boost from the FB or Pages.

in fact, the Page DS into the BF cleans of the BB yields some magic tones.

dpark39

not even sure if they actually use the tubes, but I got a damage control liquid blues and a VHT tube buffer on my board still

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
not even sure if they actually use the tubes, but I got a damage control liquid blues and a VHT tube buffer on my board still
Damage Control didn’t run tubes at sufficient power to get any good out of them. They looked cool, however.

Heraclitus

Bump

So much love for the Blackbird here. I have to DI quite often (GFI CabZeus stereo with whatever preamp pedal is working for me that day, the little Mooers are not bad) - so now I have to try and find a way to 1) Try one out (unlikely to happen) 2) Sell my soul at the Crossroads for money to buy one.

This is why I need to avoid TGP. :)

JK. It's That Pedal Show I have to watch out for. Should be renamed "That Empty Wallet Show"

Joking aside, I don't see Blackbirds for sale here in Australia. Do you need to order direct or what?

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
Big fan of the Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor.
A classic for a reason!

Friedman
Fuzz
Fiend
Seconded, best Fuzz I own, thick, chewy, cleans up extremely well. The Motor City Drive is excellent as well. Criminally underrated pedals, apparently they sold so few of them at the original asking price that they got discontinued. At blowout pricing (130-140 €) they are an absolute steal.

Honorable mention: Tsakalis G-Spot. Really good distortion pedal from Greece.

guitarnet70

Bump

So much love for the Blackbird here. I have to DI quite often (GFI CabZeus stereo with whatever preamp pedal is working for me that day, the little Mooers are not bad) - so now I have to try and find a way to 1) Try one out (unlikely to happen) 2) Sell my soul at the Crossroads for money to buy one.

This is why I need to avoid TGP. :)

JK. It's That Pedal Show I have to watch out for. Should be renamed "That Empty Wallet Show"

Joking aside, I don't see Blackbirds for sale here in Australia. Do you need to order direct or what?
They are very good at delivering, doesn't matter where. You can order directly

Trending Topics