• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What are the usual sizes for P.A. Rigs & how much to rent including soundman ?

Baminated

I am thinking about getting a band going, but I want to get some numbers going. I am talking with an agency who can book us, but they mentioned that alot of the gigs involve US supplying the P.A. for many different size venues, and that they will pay for it, and not take it off the top of our pay.

This is all assuming I am outsourcing a soundman who owns the rig(s).

In your geographical location, on average, what size rigs are available for small clubs, medium sized venues, and places like the House of Blues ?

How much are the rentals for each size usually in your area & how much does the soundman get on top of the rental ?

Last edited:

MudPies

If you're asking this question I'm guessing you will be playing bar level gigs, most of which have their own system and crew. If you're playing the corner of a coffee house you can do the sound yourself pretty easily.

Baminated

Thanks, but talk is in the works to play convention center areas where there is no P.A. Supplied, different size venues for weddings which range in small to mid to large size rooms WHERE NO PA IS SUPPLIED

loudboy

I'm really surprised that an agency wouldn't:

1. Know this already - don't they have any other acts?

2. Offer to pay for it, off the top. I would do a straight commission deal, and you provide the PA.

Expect to pay $300-350 for PA and lights which will handle a larger room like that.

A real problem is finding someone who has a smaller system for the smaller rooms, and actually knows how to use it.

I used to fill that niche around here, and I was turning down work. I'd get about $125 and bring in a killer small system.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
If you're asking this question I'm guessing you will be playing bar level gigs, most of which have their own system and crew.
Perhaps for original bands but for cover bands most bars do not have house systems.

You have to roll your own.

doublee

ha...good luck with the 'rented soundman' ! been there a few times and it never ...seemed to work as advertised, hopefully you will have a better experience.

NyteOwl

Gold Supporting Member
Perhaps for original bands but for cover bands most bars do not have house systems.

You have to roll your own.
That has always been my experience, too. I can count the number of bar gigs I've played where there was a house PA system on the fingers of one hand.

Baminated

okay , so according to the members in the quotes below, they have supplied their own p.a.

So did you guys own the P.A. or did you rent?

If you rented, what size was the P.A. setup and how much ?
That has always been my experience, too. I can count the number of bar gigs I've played where there was a house PA system on the fingers of one hand.
ha...good luck with the 'rented soundman' ! been there a few times and it never ...seemed to work as advertised, hopefully you will have a better experience.

Baloney

Your best bet is to buy youre own high quality system and get a sound guy to travel with ya. I have done this for a living and for a convention center sized gig I wouldnt do it for less than $150 a show. I will ask for more depending on the actual size and number of people there. If its over a 1000 people then Id ask for $350 a show or more. If its a club gig and there will be at least 100 or so then I want at least $100 a night depending on how many sets. If its a long set list and say 4 sets then I want more.

I ask these prices because unlike most sound guys I have a degree in audio engineering with many years experience and actually know what im doing. Ask anyone who has used a crappy sound guy how that gig turned out. You get what ya pay for in most cases. If youre serious about your band then be prepared to be serious about sound. Its just as important.

Baminated

Your best bet is to buy youre own high quality system and get a sound guy to travel with ya.
Thanks for a responsive post. Your prices are VERY fair

However, if we were to buy our own P.A., we'd be looking at 3 different size rigs, right ?

I mean how could we have one system that can fill up a huge convention center, but have it not be TOO big for a smaller venue ?

Seems like it could be a tough balancing act ??

Also, what about an outdoor venue rig that can fill up the outside?

flyingvees

Gold Supporting Member
I just went through this and basically my sound company charges about 100 bucks per member so my 7 piece wedding band was 700.00 but that included stagelights, motorized spots, dance lights and a lighting person with a board. It also included 6 monitor mixes and 9 monitors and of course all front of house sound...

doc

Silver Supporting Member
My advice - get a local sound guy to help you assemble a moderate sized system and show you how to use it, and pay him for his trouble. Basically you need a couple of speakers on stands, mixer, 2 amps, mics with stands, monitor speakers, rack, cabling for it all, and possibly subs, compressor, crossover, etc. If you're in a small club you just take part of the system, for a medium sized venue you take the whole thing. If its an important gig you hire the sound guy to run it for you, and if its a bigger sized venue then you hire him to put together a bigger system and run it for that gig.

loudboy

However, if we were to buy our own P.A., we'd be looking at 3 different size rigs, right ?
I'm assuming that was just for him - no gear.

As for your second question - you get a PA that's scaleable. If you guys don't know enough about this, and are aiming for what appears to be an uopscale market, you need to find a good sound company and work with them. Buying your own would be a mistake, IMHO.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member

I mean how could we have one system that can fill up a huge convention center, but have it not be TOO big for a smaller venue ?

Seems like it could be a tough balancing act ??

Also, what about an outdoor venue rig that can fill up the outside?
PAs are modular. Bring what you need. Small gigs one sub, two mains appropriate amps. Bigger gigs, add more subs, more mains, more amps.

I'd recommend getting enough to cover 95% of the gigs you expect to do, and look at renting for the very few that either don't provide sound or your PA is inadequate.

Around here, very few bars provide sound, but any gig I've played where our PA wasn't big enough has provided sound for us.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't want to have to arrange for rental every time I had a gig.
Ditto. Of course, so far from the OP's OP, this is a somewhat hypothetical band anyway, apparently, so after re-reading the thread, I think I'll modify my advice to recommending getting the band together and rehearsing first, then worrying about PA stuff once there is some content to deliver. Maybe hang with the sound guy for a working band in the area and trade your services as a temporary roadie for some working knowledge of setting up and running a PA.

Trending Topics