• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What are the worst Fender tube amps built?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Even a great company like Fender put out some dogs over the years.

I had a Fender 75 head that was the worst tone sucking thing I think I've ever heard. I actually wasted money on new tubes thinking it would help the muddy tone out of the mud pit, but it didn't do crap.

My Brother had a Super Twin Reverb that he hated for some reason .... :confused: ... I don't know about that one.

anything with silverface specs. overrated and absolutely lifeless
I loved my Silver Face Pro Reverb. Also the Silver Face Deluxe Reverb, both of which I once had. Just put everything on 10 except the bass, and verb and blaze away. I loved those amps. They sure cut through the mix.

BCJek

I had a Super 60 112 combo that was pretty bad. Red knob era. The clean channel actually had something wrong with it, but the "drive" channel or whatever it was called, wasn't so hot, either.

Jarrett

I've slowly come to realize that I don't really like any Fender products. Guitars or amps. But I do like I lot of Fender copies like Grosh strats, Tone King amps, etc.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I think it's like anything else, there are some great amps and some dogs. I've played some of those "Red Knob" amps that sounded amazing, then some others that shouldve been thrown away.

shark_bite

I've been gigging with a 73 SF deluxe that sounds killer... maybe I got the good one?? pretty far from lifeless.
The good one? Nope, no, not yours. Why you ask? Because I'm fairly confident that I got the good one. And since all silverfaces suck, there could only be ONE good one, right?

Heh.

:)

dondoucette

Red Knob "THE TWIN"... not actually bad sounding if you can keep it working long enough to use the damn thing. SOOOooooo unreliable. I still have one but don't play it now which figures cause I finally got all the cold solder joints, bad sockets, channel switching issues, undersized resistors (cooling), lousy 1/4 inch jacks, cheap pots, and layout problems taken care of... UGH... what a pain!

Hey anybody want to buy a nice Fender Amplifier?:messedup

Don

Ocelot

Aren't the components of much lesser quality than the originals?
That goes without saying. To begin with, it's PCB. The originals were hand-wired. But I'm not a tech, I just know it sounds really flat, especially compared with the old Twin Reverbs I've owned and/or played.

angelo

Best one channel amp I EVER played / owned was a Silver Face Super Reverb. Did everything it did great. Sold it - am idiot.

Also owned a Silver Face Twin. Great for a twin. Sold itcause I was done with that. Shoulda kept the Super, though.

The two Silvers I owned were great amps. Owned a 'The Twin" for a while. Ok, not great. Biggest dog I ever played - used for a while and REFUSED to buy was a red knobbed The Twin. I know about great players using them, but I hated it.

Trending Topics