What are these speakers?? (FANE)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by amdowell, Mar 12, 2015.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I got a used vertical Mesa 2x12 cab and I was a little suspicious, so I opened it up and these Made in England FANE speakers were inside. I don't know anything about them. I was fully expecting vintage 30s. Are these speakers any good? What are they worth? Any info about them is appreciated.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

[​IMG]

2. MarcV

MarcV Supporting Member

That seems like buying an Ice Cream Cone and assuming it's going to be Chocolate. Well, you can probably sell those for more than you could V-30's, maybe even more that Mesa v-30's. I like Fane's. I like V 30's. Fanes are hard to come by in the USA. Mostly you see them assoc. with Hiwatt.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Those would be 80s Fane lead speakers, designed to be like EV12Ms or JBL E120s-big clean tones, very efficient, not much breakup at anything approaching sane volume. I like them and have a number of them in different cabinets. Probably worth more than V30s because they're rarer but not worth the $200 you can get for the original Medusa or blue frame alnicos.

4. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Thank you for the info. They sound good, but I feel like they may not be for me since I'm looking to enhance the lead channel of my amp.