What Are Way Huge Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by p.snail, Jun 17, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

What's the story on those pedals? They look cool, but why are they $700:eek: Some kind of rare vintage thing or what?

2. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

3. p.snail

I see. The prices are a supply and demand thing then. They must be pretty cool if people are forking over that kind of coin for a pedal.

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've seen the Camel Toe OD's offered for over $4000.00, is that so he can run down to the local ginmill gig or let it sit until he can get $5500.00?

5. p.snail

$4000.00!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? For a pedal? Did it actually sell for that? That is insane!

6. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

To be honest I don't recall, but about a year ago a couple showed up on ebay, one originally listed for $6700.00 but was pulled, probably traded it for a Dumble. Ive never even seen a WH pedal and at the asking prices, I'll never own one, unless I win the lottery, then I'm just gonna spend the rest of my life traveling around the world buying up this stuff so I can have my own collection, but thats never going to happen!:crazyguy

7. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Waaay overpriced pedals.

8. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

I had a Way Huge Aqua Puss on loan from a friend for a while (analog delay). I compared it side by side with a vintage Ibanez AD-9 I used to have until I sold it on ebay. The difference was negligable. The Aqua puss was slightly brighter.

Anyone who has the coin to drop $4000 on a pedal has the right to do it.

It's the law of diminishing returns.

9. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

I remember that auction - I think the Camel Toe went for over $5000 - which presently serves a the high water mark for this kind of insanity...

Played with a Blue Hippo chorus and a Swollen Pickle fuzz in the recent past; both sounded superb. Without doubt, the quality, engineering, and workmanship of these pedals were (and are) of the highest order, but not worth the equivalent of a '99 Dodge Neon, IMHO.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've still got my Aquapuss. I'm mightily tempted by the $700+ prices on Ebay, but it is THE quietest, most musical 300 mS delay I've ever heard (and I've owned a lot including 5 or 6 DM2s and a couple of AD9s, as well as Ibanez, MXR and Yamaha analog rack delays).

11. e-z

e-z Member

"Way Huge" means the price.

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had a few when they were new, didn't keep them. They sounded good, but no better than others.

13. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I agree=Way Hugely overpriced-nice replicas of some classic pedals with a few tweaks-ie. Ross Compressor, Tube Screamer, Big Muff, Octavia, etc.

14. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

I read somewhere, that the guy behind WayHuge closed his business back then, because he was hired by line6 to work on their modelling amps...
    I wonder whats going to happen on the wayhuge website, which is for a part back on the net.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually blue_lu (sax player, perhaps?) Jorge worked for Line 6 for a couple of years and recently left. It's been rumored that he's now working for Dunlop (which would be super cool if he upgraded the Dunlop stable which includes MXR). He's also hinted that he might restart Way Huge but has said he'll never build any of the old pedals again.

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ive never, ever seen any way huge pedals go for over $850, that was a mint condition aquapuss with box and everything. Were did you guys see those ones go for $4K+, I didnt even think such a pedal existed. I realy want to get an aqua puss and a swollen pickle.

17. MrSage

MrSage Member

The ones that have gone for multiple thousands of dollars were ones where Jeorge made 10 or fewer...Sasquatch, Super Puss, etc.

They're very good pedals, and their prices are a testament to their staying power. Most are tweaked clones, but with very good tweaks. That accounts for maybe half the price. The other half is the rarity and collectibilty.

18. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

It really comes down to their value to some as a collectable piece of music history. Is Jimi Hendrix' strat that different than other strats manufactured the same year? It's just wood, metal, and plastic, right? Just like these pedals are a collection of semiconductors.

Personally I cannot afford to be a collector. I like high quality pedals but it doesn't make a difference to me if I've got 1 of 10 or 1 of 10,000 so long as when I step on the pedal it works right and sounds cool.

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks for explaining Mr.Sage! Hey arent you the one that makes cones of the Way Huge pedals...? and makes clones of other find pedals?...if so Id be interested in some of your stuff...like oh lets say... a swollen pickle clone?

20. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

:jo :jo :NUTS :messedup :BITCH :( :worried