What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

jrockbridge

I’ve bought a few Mooer pedals in the last couple of years. The only one on a board right now is a Black Secret. Then, this whole thing went down with blatant copyright infringement by Mooer stealing the software code from the EHX C9, etc. I happen to own an EHX C9.

This is different than the typical circuit copying that has happened over the years. There is nothing illegal about copying simple circuits.

What Mooer did was blatant, illegal theft. This bothers me. I think I might have to get rid of my Mooer stomps. What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals?

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Silver Supporting Member
This whole ordeal prompted me to retest my past findings about the Tender Octaver compared to other EHX octavers/pitch-shifters, which favored the Mooer purely based on performance.
Long story short, I just bought a new MicroPOG and Pitchfork (happy to give my money to Mike/EHX) and plan to do a direct comparison with the Tender Octaver mkI.

jrockbridge

So when you bought the black secret you didn't know it was a Chinese knockoff of a Rat? Weird.
I knew the Black Secret was a legal copy of a circuit. I thought it was no different than the Plethora of Tube Screamer circuits that go by other names.

Software copyright infringement is different. What Mooer did with these digital pedals was illegal.

I'll put them on a board together with all the Vertex and Freekish Blues pedals I have on the shelf. And I'm going to record a hit album with it just to play with your mind.
Do you own a Captain Coconut? Cool pedal.

cap10kirk

Nothing different. I'll keep using the one I have, although I don't use it often. And I still may buy more. I mean, I like EHX, they're one of my all time favorite pedal companies, but I'm not getting worked up over what happened. They got caught, Mike Matthews won a settlement, end of story...doesn't change how I feel about either company to be honest.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Listen, you don’t buy Mooer pedals because you want an original creation. It’s understood that these things are cheap knockoffs. Why all of the sudden do you have a conscience when it comes to them stealing digital software?

(Spare me the original layout vs copying code bit. I’m speaking strictly in terms of building a business on the backs of others’ designs.)

I guess for me the entire principal behind their company, and the like, is enough to put me off from the start.

The fact is they’re making smaller, cheaper versions of already established effects with a following and raking in the easy money because they didn’t have any time or money spent on building the reputation of said pedal. It’s an affordable alternative that doesn’t support the original builder, designer, etc.

To me, this is very different than those who make a TS variant, Rat variant, DMM variant, etc, because they are going to make tweaks to the circuit to improve upon it, make it their own, or otherwise differentiate it enough that it becomes their own pedal. But when that work really isn’t put in and you’re just cashing in on everyone else’s hard work, then I say no thanks.

So this news of software copyright infringement only reinforces how I already viewed the company. Someone who’s willing to make a buck at someone else’s expense without the honest work behind the product. I feel that mindset naturally leads to blatant stealing and it didn’t surprise me in the least when I heard of it.

bigben55

I've bought exactly one Mooer peddle, the Orange 90 phaser. And the MXR Phase 95 KILLS it in every way. Sold the Mooer, wont buy another.

Kevsonic

Supporting Member
The ones I have were purchased used, including the Flex Boost I have coming. I guess I plan on playing music with them.

Trending Topics