What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

strat56

Why would I care? Mooer has been punished. Next time I guess they'll be more careful.

The pedal industry is too lucrative, this is going to keep happening anyway.

laurabaileysirishcre

Supporting Member
I will keep my Rumble drive because I like the sound of it. I don’t use it often but through a couple of amps I pay through it works really well.

Honestly I don’t really know enough of the whole situation to make me swear off mooer. Who made the decision to copy the code? Was it a lone employee? Was it a executive decision?

jdel77

Supporting Member
I’ve bought a few Mooer pedals in the last couple of years. The only one on a board right now is a Black Secret. Then, this whole thing went down with blatant copyright infringement by Mooer stealing the software code from the EHX C9, etc. I happen to own an EHX C9.

This is different than the typical circuit copying that has happened over the years. There is nothing illegal about copying simple circuits.

What Mooer did was blatant, illegal theft. This bothers me. I think I might have to get rid of my Mooer stomps. What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals?
You're not serious.
If this is satire, it's brilliant. Otherwise...

jrockbridge

Listen, you don’t buy Mooer pedals because you want an original creation. It’s understood that these things are cheap knockoffs. Why all of the sudden do you have a conscience when it comes to them stealing digital software?

(Spare me the original layout vs copying code bit. I’m speaking strictly in terms of building a business on the backs of others’ designs.)
Where do you draw the line?

Perhaps, it’s based on some moral standards you apply evenly to all companies. From what I’ve seen, the moral standards are applied unevenly by many people.

Analogman pedals are Bluesbreaker, Fuzz Face, Ross circuits, etc. Perhaps, the later versions have enough tweaks to be considered somewhat transformative but most of the work was done by those who came before. Yet, they get a moral pass by most on TGP.

Copying is a part of everything we are in terms of art, music, literature, architecture and technology. Copying is how we learn. Nothing is created out of thin air. Nothing is truly original. Everything is built on what came before.

The principles of creation are copy, transform and combine. This is how we got here.

The most obvious example of this is modern computers. Everything that became the elements of modern computers started at Xerox. Apple copied those ideas. Microsoft copied from Apple.

Steve Jobs said that Apple was always shameless about copying ideas. Later, he said, “I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this.” Classic loss aversion.

In trying to navigate the moral aspects of guitar gear, I’ve found that players draw a jagged line between companies. Some companies get a pass while others get a fail. The reasons seem arbitrary. Yet all companies have an aspect of copying in their history. So, I avoid moral high ground and judge based on legal grounds.

Mooer has crossed a legal line. That’s where I draw the line.

sliberty

I have 3 Mooer pedals on my main board - Yellow Comp, Hustle Drive and Blues Crab. None of those pedals were part of that copyright infringement suit. And, that money is already in Mooer's pockets. So, I will keep using them.

I am shocked and not at all pleased at how blatant their theft of software was (to include the original EHX copyright is just stupid), but Mike Matthews already punished them, and for now, those pedals are history. So, its not my battle to fight.

When one software giant sues another software giant for using patented concepts, do we all stop using the software from the offender? No we don't. The courts provide a remedy if one is warranted. The products are then altered to remove the infringement, or royalties are paid. But life goes on for everyone.

Last edited:
I’ve bought a few Mooer pedals in the last couple of years. The only one on a board right now is a Black Secret. Then, this whole thing went down with blatant copyright infringement by Mooer stealing the software code from the EHX C9, etc. I happen to own an EHX C9.

This is different than the typical circuit copying that has happened over the years. There is nothing illegal about copying simple circuits.

What Mooer did was blatant, illegal theft. This bothers me. I think I might have to get rid of my Mooer stomps. What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals?
Nothing. What would it accomplish? Foolish grandstanding to convince one's self they have some moral superiority is just ridiculous and arrogant. Sell them all! Isn't impacting Mooer in the least but you get to claim moral superiority!

ned7flat5

I was under the impression that Mooer pioneered the micro pedal concept - if that’s the case, they did bring something new to the table.

The EHX pedals I fondly recall were essentially oversized air containers seemingly designed by a high school metal work class with evocative names like Black Finger, Screaming Tree, Big Muff and racy descriptions of their unique sounds. Not being critical - just reminiscing.

Sam Xavier

I was under the impression that Mooer pioneered the micro pedal concept - if that’s the case, they did bring something new to the table.

The EHX pedals I fondly recall were essentially oversized air containers seemingly designed by a high school metal work class with evocative names like Black Finger, Screaming Tree, Big Muff and racy descriptions of their unique sounds. Not being critical - just reminiscing.
"...oversized air containers..."

:rotflmao

The first bantam sized pedals I remember were by Catalinbread and Xotic. Not sure who was first, or if there was anyone before them, but Mooer certainly didn’t pioneer the format.

ned7flat5

The first bantam sized pedals I remember were by Catalinbread and Xotic. Not sure who was first, or if there was anyone before them, but Mooer certainly didn’t pioneer the format.

OK - it must’ve been the fact that Mooer released about twenty or so pedals all at once in Australia that they took the spotlight. The range was bewildering and their practicality was initially suspect - too small, no battery, Chinese...and ironically, too expensive for their size!!

I see that VW, despite having incurred a multi-billion dollar fine for an emissions scandal and having an ignominious 80 year direct link to a past dictator, seem to be still in business. In fact, VW was the largest car maker in the world by 2017.

Mooer Uber Alles?

Trending Topics