What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrockbridge, Jan 20, 2019.

1. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Perhaps, VW is sorry. Do you think Mooer is sorry?

2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I’m not against clones or innovative spinoffs driving technology forward. What I find hilarious is the “outrage” toward Mooer and general write offs now that they’ve been exposed for stealing software/code. I get that it’s wrong, but if you buy from a company that banks on reverse engineering pedals with no innovation (component wise) why is everyone suddenly surprised and outraged that they segued from analog to digital pedals?

Gaheba, Old Guy, Limenode and 2 others like this.
  3. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I'll attach my one Mooer to a 5-00 hook and troll it like a spinner in Tillamook Bay for the Fall Chinook.
    It's got an ugly green-chartreuse paint job that seems to outrage the local salmonids.

4. bsthetech

bsthetech Supporting Member

Anyone who thinks Chinese products are original and above reproach is naive. They sell cheap reproductions and if it can connect to a network it’s probably spying on you. China doesn’t care about your copyright laws, privacy laws, or human rights. You can’t make sense of the situation using Western ideals.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Today’s “oxymoron of the day” is “western ideals”. LOL

6. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Don't own any and never considered buying. Am I safe?

EDIT: I don't think this action comes close to addressing the level and impact of piracy that is really involved. This was a token move at the lowest common denominator. If it makes someone happy or rich, so be it. No offense to EHX but they don't matter at all as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  7. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

To date the only inkling of all this intrigue seems to emanate from EHX.

Since I don’t expect to find the alleged decision on any accessible case archive, it might be useful to know the details.

It’s been quite the precedent if EHX has managed to prevail over a Chinese company in China.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't own any Mooer pedals, they're overpriced! If you ever get to NAMM, head over to the chinese section (main floor, on the left as you come in, near the back). There are literally dozens of companies building the same basic boxes with similar names. I initially thought they were all the same company, but it turns out IP is stolen as soon as it's released over there so there are dozens of companies building this stuff to basically the same standards. If I'm gonna sell my soul for a cheap pedal, it'd better be less than $40! That said, I really don't have a problem with copying the TS or the DS1 or even the RAT. Even if you COULD patent a pedal, those patents would long ago have moved into public ownership. I'm much less comfortable with things like the Hustle drive, since that's a more recent box and the originator is a small company still building, right? Or the Timmy for another example.

The C9 is recent, even if the company is big, and Mooer got it's hands rightly slapped for just copying the software. And while the judgement was trivial (less than $100,000) the lawyers bills would likely make them sit up and take notice. Maybe level the field a little.

9. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I own three:
    - ElecLady is okay, but not really close to my Hartman Flanger, let alone a real Electric Mistress
    - Hustle Drive is okay
    - Soul Shiver is functional

10. grizz

grizz Member

Copying occurs at all levels of the business world. It is a constant thing regardless of the product, like it or not. I don't own any Mooer pedals but if they can function without breaking down longer than the EHX pedals I've owned in the past, I would have no qualms about buying one.

NeedmoreCrunch likes this.
  11. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Why are people making this into a thing? Cloning, building slight variance interpretations, most of the pedal world is built off this legacy. Simply because cloning is "legal", is built upon a legal construct, whereas the morality of both falls within the same spectrum. EHX clones circuits still in production, and their code was stolen too. The moral compass is skewed for both directions for me.

SweetClyde99 and Big in Japan like this.
  12. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

I have the Yellow compressor, I like it a lot.

xcc likes this.
  13. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Yup. Simple, easy to remember.

Damage has already been done. Mike won, Mooer lost. Why should I lose by giving up a pedal they already made money on and I can't afford to replace?

As far as the furure, I was hoping to never have to buy another Mooer in the first place. An exception will be made for a Black Secret however.

wornoutjunkie and monty like this.
  14. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

I don’t think VW is sorry. They’re only sorry they got caught. Please.

Old Guy, Tmidiman and RomanS like this.
  15. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

LOL! Claiming someone WITH morals is the arrogant one... PRICELESS!

16. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

I'm probably going to go out and buy a bunch now that it's officially confirmed that they're exact copies of the real pedals but at a fraction of the price. :aok

Brunooliveira likes this.
  17. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Is my pre-lawsuit Tender Octaver collectable now?

18. one4five

one4five Member

"a high school metal work class" :D

ned7flat5 likes this.
  19. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

Full disclosure: I own and regularly use a Blues Crab. Years ago, when I first found out about pedal cloning, it seemed shady and wrong. Obviously, I've since accepted it as common practice.

Law or no law, I struggle to see how copying software is different than copying circuits, from a moral standpoint. Both are acts of profiting off of someone else's work.

I'm not trying to justify software theft. And you can argue that software has copyright protection and circuits don't. But I don't think that's a moral high ground to take.

As a community, we should be asking whether or not we're comfortable across the board, with one company/builder taking and profiting from the work of another company/builder. That's the larger discussion.

Old Guy, Doode and Godspeed64 like this.
  20. PixMix

PixMix Member

If it makes you feel better, buy any EHX pedal you need/want and get a EHX T shirt while at it to support them for a while. Getting rid of what you already have does no good to neither EHX or punish Mooer.

[​IMG]