What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrockbridge, Jan 20, 2019.

1. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

What are you planning to do? As in, more specifically than just "get rid of" them.

If you sell the pedals that will keep them in circulation and indirectly promote the company. Scrapping them for parts and buying replacements from another company would take them permanently out of circulation, but would be environmentally unfriendly compared to simply continuing to use them yourself till they break. You could just put some tape over the logos.

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  2. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I have a Donner Jet Convolution. It's far enough away from a real Electric Mistress that my Spidey Senses aren't tingling.

3. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

I'm going to buy their whole product line and smash them on facebook to express my rage.

Troll, johnh, Old Guy and 7 others like this.
  4. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I don't want to start anything, but i find it kinda sad when people are proud to dismiss the idea of Principle.
    That said, this case and finding certainly affected my feelings about Mooer. I was planning to buy either the GE200 or GE300, and now i'm soured on the idea. I think we all ought to reconcile what intellectual property theft means to us individually. If you are a Creator, it affects you. If you're not, you probably feel nothing about it. Then, there's the other nuance—is it more of a big deal when it's institutional/industrial, versus when it's personal? We've all, likely, 'stolen' music or movies etc. And we come up with various justifications for that....

So, yeah, i'll now be looking for alternatives to all the Mooer stuff i previously would have considered. I think some sort of public acknowledgement and pledge to 'be better' would be a seriously strong move for Mooer, as they obviously have a great deal of product that doesn't come from other developers and they can't afford to have this taint the entire company. I have a feeling they'll just shift some products to one of their other labels, though. It'll be a shell game for a while.

DreamTheaterRules and Doode like this.
  5. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

I keep stepping, they keep tipping over

6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

I am thoroughly enjoying my newly (re)aquired Mooer E-Lady without one ounce of guilt.

roblovesolives and valvestate like this.
  7. Steven

Steven Member

I´ll been using the Blues Crab for six years and I will probably keep using it as long as it holds together. It´s a mini version of a discontinued pedal from Marshall. I don´t see the drama in that one, but I would probably not buy a Tender Octave.

8. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Maybe repaint then apply Letraset decals for labeling and rebranding. I’m sure that’s what Moen, Fender, Joyo, Rowin, XVive do to some extent.

9. juri

juri Member

I own a Mooer Radar and I haven’t found a pedal that does the same thing. If you dislike the pedals, sell them, otherwise keep them.

dpeterson and Doode like this.
  10. kakev

kakev Member

All this does not have any impact on me. Never bought Mooer pedals, never will, so that hasnt changed.

11. schizo910

schizo910 Member

What Mooer did was bad. But you buying their product not knowing of this blatent theft doesn't make you a bad person. So getting rid of pedals you already own only affects you. I can understand not buying their products in the future, but getting rid of the gear you bought prior to the things you know now, makes no sence to me.

xcc likes this.
  12. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

I don't see why this changes anything from a buyers POV. They were clearly ripping off others work before, it's immoral. The only difference with this new infringement is it's LEGALLY immoral too because circuits aren't copyright but imo the principle is the same.

There are so many good pedals out there being built by good people, I'd rather support those builders (and have done).

chadmo1 likes this.
  13. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

I sold mine before this news broke. Won’t be buying Mooer again.

14. Kaji

Kaji Member

Eat 'em.

Snoopydogg likes this.
  15. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

How noble of you. Very holier than thou.

stratotastic and Kaji like this.
  16. Snoopydogg

Snoopydogg Member

I have four Mooer pedals (which have lost their pedal board spots). Before the big news broke, I was planning to sell a couple and hang on to a couple (Trelicopter and Hustle Drive) just in case I need them later. Now, I’m going to spend five to eight days reading online outrage while the rest of the world marches towards its fate at exactly the same rate as before. And eventually, I’ll probably sell a couple of them and keep a couple.

17. spod

spod Member

Was turned off of them anyway after my experience with the Ocean Machine and their broken promises and amateurish attempts at post-sales customer service. This story just re-affirms that position. So as much as the ideas behind the Radar and Preamp Live are appealing to me, I'll be damned if they ever see my money again.

Don't see how suddenly selling your Mooer pedals because of this is any kind of a stance. Doesn't hurt them at all as they already have your money.

HERSCHEL and Sam Xavier like this.
  18. h-pr

h-pr Member

I'm not going to throw away my Mooer pedals (not that I have many, and the Noise Killer is just giving up on me anyway).

The fact that a Mooer pedal which sounds incredibly similar to another pedal might in fact be a copy of said pedal should not come as any kind of surprise.

I also don't believe that copying software is in any way different from copying a circuit, printing a new PCB and changing a few resistors or capacitors. The former may be illegal and the latter legal, but the principle remains that if you buy any of these pedals, somebody is making money off someone else's invention. If you care about these things, it should affect your decision before you buy it, not after the company has been convicted of plagiarism.

Big in Japan likes this.
  19. The Mix

The Mix Member

This may be a side comment, but about business practices... wasn't there something about new sensor/EH and a questionable appropriation of the reputable (original) Svetlana brand of tubes?
    Resulting in the original Svetlana to not be able to use their own brand on their own product?

20. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I get your point but by that token, there are many pedal makers who wouldn't get business, including (AFAIK) EHX themselves. Fact is, almost all pedal builders have copied from others to a degree, some more than others.