What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrockbridge, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Jhuttyhut

Jhuttyhut Member

The only one I’ve ever desired to buy is the ElecLady and as long as it continues to sound better than any flanger that EHX produces, it’ll still be on my radar.

stratotastic likes this.
  2. fescue

fescue Member

No worries. Never bought ‘em.

3. h-pr

h-pr Member

Very true. Which is why I don't quite see why Mooer is so evil all of a sudden only because they were stupid or careless enough not to change even one line of code in the software.

People keep talking a lot about "clones" on TGP, and "clone" literally means "identical copy". So I guess it's accepted knowledge that many pedals are more or less exact copies of other pedals, often with just minimal changes or only higher quality parts. Praising a TS/Klon/Rat/OCD clone for its authentic sound on one hand and on the other hand condemning Mooer because they produced a clone that was a bit too literal is not exactly consistent behavior.

I think it is up to the courts to determine what extent of copying or cloning is illegal, but as a customer, the moment to think about whether I find it okay to own a pedal that appears to be a more or less exact copy of another pedal is when I'm buying it, not after a court rule. Just my 2¢.

4. borducks

borducks Member

Same as I do with my Joyos — I use the AC Tone a bit. I use my Fly Rig all the time. Grab a cheap copy here and there then buy more stuff from the originator if they have stuff worth the money, which Tech21 and EHX both do.

meowmers likes this.
  5. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

I’m going to wait til I’m done burning my Nike’s, then toss the Mooer, and Donner, and everything else not 100% made in the good old USA into the fire

Think I’ll toss a Keuring into there too as I think I’m supposed to be outraged about them too for some reason

stratotastic likes this.
  6. binge

binge Member

To be honest, I'm going to keep mine. I'm not going to pretend to be morally superiour about such things, it's a business matter between EHX and Mooer and it doesn't concern me.

7. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Member

This thread has me wanting to ask so many political questions of so many posters. Really just to find out the answers. This would violate the prime directive of TGP.

FWIW the question I have of myself is what do you do if your company sells both?

Kevsonic and wornoutjunkie like this.
  8. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I barely have a horse in this race, owning only an Acoustuikar (which I don't think is a clone of anything) but I may pick up a Blues Crab at some point (long-discontinued pedal anyway).

monty likes this.
  9. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I’m surprised I hear “overpriced” applied to the GE200. I’m genuinely curious what sounds better in the price range. I don’t have a ton of points of comparison, but I think the amp models on it sound better than the Line 6 HD500 I have sitting next to it—though that may be mostly due to the IR loading feature.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    monty likes this.
  10. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

So, I should throw away my Black Secret, and keep using my EHX Glove with full moral integrity?

11. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

The Blues Crab is still available, according to the Mooer website.

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Simple. Nothing. I don't own any.

13. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Big deal...not like we're talking about 1 million faulty airbags. Just cheap knock off pedals. Use them or toss them but no one cares.

Old Guy likes this.
  14. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Other than newer/beginning players, nearly everyone who bought Mooer stuff, knew it was a Chinese copy of someone else product. They are the new behringer, and everyone knows it, so I doubt that very many of the folks that bought knockoffs in the first place will have a sudden crisis of conscience now and unload the product after its been revealed to be blatant theft.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Eldritch Tentacles and Doode like this.
  15. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

I wonder if Mooer was not from China how this would play out for some people.

johnh, fitzo and Kevsonic like this.
  16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

It seems that Vertex's sales never seem to suffer, so I guess you continue selling them!

17. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

I agree completely. Lots of "who cares" attitudes here, and then of course the more serious offenders who actually bash people for having some principles. This is not a basic circuit that someone cloned. We've covered that for the last 72 years here. This is different. This IS like stealing music or software.

And yes, we are probably mostly, if not all, guilty of that at some point. I've done it. I tried to have some principles about it though. In the past, I've downloaded music with this set of rules. If I listen to it and like it well enough to listen again, I buy it. If not, I delete it. I used it as a way to determine if I liked a band or not. Perfect example, the best group I've discovered in the last 10 years is Circus Maximus. I heard them on an internet radio station and really liked it. Found a free download of all their music (back when they only had 3 CDs) and got it. Immediately loved it and bought every CD they put out then and since. Others, I've DL'd listened, decided it wasn't "must have" and deleted it. I know it is "wrong" but my method at least has no groups of DL'd music on my hard drive, and at least 5 groups I've bought every CD they put out.

So, nobody has a right to say you should sell every one of their pedals that you own. Many of their pedals aren't even included in this. But bashing someone who has some principles and doesn't feel right owning what they know is a blatant theft, is pretty lame.

zryder and RolandKorg like this.
  18. Logsworth

Logsworth Member

Be true to your conscience.

zryder likes this.
  19. vokeyz

vokeyz Member

This has been stated a lot. They’re known for copying circuits. So I’m not entirely surprised they copied literal software. It’s a bit fickle but I’m not really bother by it because they don’t have a lot of original stuff and software in my mind (even when copy/pasted) is no different than circuit copying. Good for EHX for making a point. I’ve bought and love a lot of their pedals. But if I can find a good used Mooer pedal to fit my board, this whole thing doesn’t really change mind.

coltonius and asilker like this.
  20. poison7512

poison7512 Member

I dont have any Mooer pedals.

But I WILL DEFINITELY BUY A FEW if dealers start blowing them out because of the controversy. I've literally never wanted a preamp live, but if I could get one for under $200??? Maybe...

stratotastic likes this.