What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

Jhuttyhut

The only one I’ve ever desired to buy is the ElecLady and as long as it continues to sound better than any flanger that EHX produces, it’ll still be on my radar.

h-pr

I get your point but by that token, there are many pedal makers who wouldn't get business, including (AFAIK) EHX themselves. Fact is, almost all pedal builders have copied from others to a degree, some more than others.
Very true. Which is why I don't quite see why Mooer is so evil all of a sudden only because they were stupid or careless enough not to change even one line of code in the software.

People keep talking a lot about "clones" on TGP, and "clone" literally means "identical copy". So I guess it's accepted knowledge that many pedals are more or less exact copies of other pedals, often with just minimal changes or only higher quality parts. Praising a TS/Klon/Rat/OCD clone for its authentic sound on one hand and on the other hand condemning Mooer because they produced a clone that was a bit too literal is not exactly consistent behavior.

I think it is up to the courts to determine what extent of copying or cloning is illegal, but as a customer, the moment to think about whether I find it okay to own a pedal that appears to be a more or less exact copy of another pedal is when I'm buying it, not after a court rule. Just my 2¢.

borducks

Same as I do with my Joyos — I use the AC Tone a bit. I use my Fly Rig all the time. Grab a cheap copy here and there then buy more stuff from the originator if they have stuff worth the money, which Tech21 and EHX both do.

LqdSndDist

I’m going to wait til I’m done burning my Nike’s, then toss the Mooer, and Donner, and everything else not 100% made in the good old USA into the fire

Think I’ll toss a Keuring into there too as I think I’m supposed to be outraged about them too for some reason

binge

To be honest, I'm going to keep mine. I'm not going to pretend to be morally superiour about such things, it's a business matter between EHX and Mooer and it doesn't concern me.

Boundcustom

Vendor
This thread has me wanting to ask so many political questions of so many posters. Really just to find out the answers. This would violate the prime directive of TGP.

FWIW the question I have of myself is what do you do if your company sells both?

HERSCHEL

I barely have a horse in this race, owning only an Acoustuikar (which I don't think is a clone of anything) but I may pick up a Blues Crab at some point (long-discontinued pedal anyway).

SweetClyde99

GE 200. Send it back. But not because of the lawsuit but because it's an overpriced, fancy dressed POS in too many regards.
I’m surprised I hear “overpriced” applied to the GE200. I’m genuinely curious what sounds better in the price range. I don’t have a ton of points of comparison, but I think the amp models on it sound better than the Line 6 HD500 I have sitting next to it—though that may be mostly due to the IR loading feature.

Last edited:

Sam Xavier

I barely have a horse in this race, owning only an Acoustuikar (which I don't think is a clone of anything) but I may pick up a Blues Crab at some point (long-discontinued pedal anyway).
The Blues Crab is still available, according to the Mooer website.

musicman1

Big deal...not like we're talking about 1 million faulty airbags. Just cheap knock off pedals. Use them or toss them but no one cares.

McShred

Other than newer/beginning players, nearly everyone who bought Mooer stuff, knew it was a Chinese copy of someone else product. They are the new behringer, and everyone knows it, so I doubt that very many of the folks that bought knockoffs in the first place will have a sudden crisis of conscience now and unload the product after its been revealed to be blatant theft.

Last edited:

OotMagroot

Supporting Member
This thread has me wanting to ask so many political questions of so many posters. Really just to find out the answers. This would violate the prime directive of TGP.

FWIW the question I have of myself is what do you do if your company sells both?
It seems that Vertex's sales never seem to suffer, so I guess you continue selling them!

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Silver Supporting Member
I don't want to start anything, but i find it kinda sad when people are proud to dismiss the idea of Principle.
That said, this case and finding certainly affected my feelings about Mooer. I was planning to buy either the GE200 or GE300, and now i'm soured on the idea. I think we all ought to reconcile what intellectual property theft means to us individually. If you are a Creator, it affects you. If you're not, you probably feel nothing about it. Then, there's the other nuance—is it more of a big deal when it's institutional/industrial, versus when it's personal? We've all, likely, 'stolen' music or movies etc. And we come up with various justifications for that....

So, yeah, i'll now be looking for alternatives to all the Mooer stuff i previously would have considered. I think some sort of public acknowledgement and pledge to 'be better' would be a seriously strong move for Mooer, as they obviously have a great deal of product that doesn't come from other developers and they can't afford to have this taint the entire company. I have a feeling they'll just shift some products to one of their other labels, though. It'll be a shell game for a while.
I agree completely. Lots of "who cares" attitudes here, and then of course the more serious offenders who actually bash people for having some principles. This is not a basic circuit that someone cloned. We've covered that for the last 72 years here. This is different. This IS like stealing music or software.

And yes, we are probably mostly, if not all, guilty of that at some point. I've done it. I tried to have some principles about it though. In the past, I've downloaded music with this set of rules. If I listen to it and like it well enough to listen again, I buy it. If not, I delete it. I used it as a way to determine if I liked a band or not. Perfect example, the best group I've discovered in the last 10 years is Circus Maximus. I heard them on an internet radio station and really liked it. Found a free download of all their music (back when they only had 3 CDs) and got it. Immediately loved it and bought every CD they put out then and since. Others, I've DL'd listened, decided it wasn't "must have" and deleted it. I know it is "wrong" but my method at least has no groups of DL'd music on my hard drive, and at least 5 groups I've bought every CD they put out.

So, nobody has a right to say you should sell every one of their pedals that you own. Many of their pedals aren't even included in this. But bashing someone who has some principles and doesn't feel right owning what they know is a blatant theft, is pretty lame.

vokeyz

This has been stated a lot. They’re known for copying circuits. So I’m not entirely surprised they copied literal software. It’s a bit fickle but I’m not really bother by it because they don’t have a lot of original stuff and software in my mind (even when copy/pasted) is no different than circuit copying. Good for EHX for making a point. I’ve bought and love a lot of their pedals. But if I can find a good used Mooer pedal to fit my board, this whole thing doesn’t really change mind.

poison7512

I dont have any Mooer pedals.

But I WILL DEFINITELY BUY A FEW if dealers start blowing them out because of the controversy. I've literally never wanted a preamp live, but if I could get one for under $200??? Maybe...

Trending Topics