What are you planning to do with your Mooer pedals now?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrockbridge, Jan 20, 2019.

1. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Can I still use those Mooer pedal buttons that I bought before I found an even lower cost version? That is all I have right now.

As for EHX? Well they copied, got caught and paid EHX. Not sure about the rest of their product. One thing for sure, they got lazy with the EHX ripoff. But don't assume for a minute that they can't get out in front of EHX, or anyone else, on product development and product. The days of USA holding the only invention/innovation/technology card are almost gone.

hunter

HERSCHEL likes this.
  2. BJS

BJS Member

Quite a few people saying that selling your Mooer pedals in protest won't affect Mooer at all. I don't think that's true. It all depends on how many people sell pedals in protest, as well as how many refuse to buy Mooer pedals at all now.

If a lot of people sell their Mooer pedals cheaply in protest it would impact on sales of new pedals. Why buy a new pedal if you can get a secondhand version for a fraction of the price?

Also, if a brand's resale value is diminished due to higher secondhand supply from protest sales, and/or lower demand, from those refusing to now buy Mooer, you are going to think twice about buying a pedal at full price. Your chance of recovering costs if you don't like it are greatly reduced.

Whether these effects would be significant enough depends on numbers of people upset by Mooer's actions. And, yeah, some of any damage could be offset, or overcome, by the increase in people's awareness of their brand by owning a cheap version acquired from a protest sale. But I doubt that'll be the case.

I don't own any Mooer pedals, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to now.

As much as the moral angle, a company who has just stolen the code in its entirety won't have bothered to fully understand how it works and why, how it is supposed to work and why, and what to do if it goes wrong.

If Mooer don't really know what they're selling me, I don't want to buy it.

3. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

If you own any guitar that’s based on a Strat shape that is not a fender are you going to sell that too??
    Don’t own any Mooer pedals...

If they made a cheap looping delay I’d be all over that!!!!

vernplum, AbePhroman and Big in Japan like this.
  4. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Lol...Chinese companies rip off designs? Honestly, Mooer's whole shtick is ripping off designs, so this news didn't even raise a half an eyebrow from me.

Also, what do you say to EHX ripping off others, now? They have a Rat (Flatiron), an OCD (OD Glove), a Klon Centaur (Soul Food), a Tube Screamer (East River Drive) and I'm sure there are more! Is it only unethical if it is software?

5. Caulk Rocket

Caulk Rocket Member

I never had any, as they were the most overpriced of all the Chinese mini pedals.

6. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Yep, but its Marshall forefather is not.

7. Kluch

Kluch Member

Can't wait to sell all my mooer pedals now! ...ya, that'll show them :rolleyes:

AbePhroman likes this.
  8. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

So the product is overpriced and a POS in a lot of ways, but what product sounds better at that price is somehow missing the point? Okay, I guess I’ll bite. What’s the right question?

9. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

I don't have any, but if I did, I'd just use them, maybe not buy any more till Mooer signals a better direction. No need to overreact with $$ already spent.

10. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

I own just one Chinese-made mini-pedal, the Mooer Slow Engine. I confess my motivation was the unreasonably high price and low availability of the BOSS SG-1 Slow Gear which hasn't been produced for years. Last year I rolled the dice, took a chance and bought the Mooer on eBay from a Singapore seller who was shipping out of Kentucky (?!). The price was $46.99 for a brand new unit. eBay reminded me that I had a $5 credit so my final price was just $41.66. It arrived 8 days later as described. Reverb.com currently has a dozen or so SG-1's available used and priced from $359 up to $587. Too much for an effect I wouldn't use all that often.

11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Same here. I needed a mini volume swell. The price wasn't even the issue. The Boss is too big. I needed mini and they were the only game in town.

12. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

13. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

I'll still use them. I think that anyone who bought a Mooer(or other chinese mini pedals) knows that they are a copie of an existing pedal, being either the simple circuit or the software behind it. So I think that there is some hypocrisy behind this sudden thing happening. If you don't care about a direct cloned circuit of a pedal, why would you suddenly care if the code or software behind a circuit is copied too, because a law says so? What if they were not protected by a law, would it be the same to you?

14. AbePhroman

AbePhroman Member

There is no reasonably priced replacement for my E-Lady. It stays!

15. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    What a troll post. Please don't feed the OP troll.

coltonius and Windup 43 like this.
  16. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

This thing here? I bought it and I'm gonna keep using it.

[​IMG]

17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Don't have any now, won't buy any in the future. Will go TC, EHX, MXR, etc for mini pedals.

18. Snoopydogg

Snoopydogg Member

I think you’re massively overestimating the degree to which reactions on a TGP pedal forum are representative of Mooer pedal owners and potential buyers. Out in the real world, most people won’t even hear of this case. It’s not front-page news. It’s more like buried-under-the-obituaries next-to-the-last page news. And even in the tempestuous teapot of this forum, it’s getting a whole lotta “meh.” If you’re holding off on buying a Mooer pedal until prices drop 50% due to the massive influx of disgusted owners dumping their tainted gear, you’re probably going to be waiting a long time.

stahlhart and Phase45child like this.
  19. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I don't think I have any Moorer pedals, but if I did I'd just continue to use them as I had before. I don't own the unit that they got in trouble for, so I have no skin in the game.

20. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

All other arguments aside... Mooer have shown unequivocally that there’s a pretty large market for significantly smaller versions of these pedals... AND, that it’s technically possible. There seems no reason why EHX couldn’t release smaller versions and Mooer using their EXACT software illustrates that.
    I had a C9 and sold it because I didn’t use it enough to justify the space it took up. When the Mooergan came out, I was going to get one but they pulled them before I got the chance.
    In this instance; EHX didn’t “protect” their business with the copyright lawsuit... they simply diminished the availability of a product I would have bought that they don’t offer anyway.

Seriously, in stead of seeking Mooer to stop, they should have just asked them to pay for usage of the software. Have Mooer tack on another $10-$20 to the price of the pedal and give it directly to them. It’s a format they don’t produce themselves and most likely never will.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    ned7flat5 and Jarick like this.