What are you using as a bedroom/practice amp and why?

c94123

Axe-Fx into my DAW going through my studio monitors. Great little low volume setup. I also have a Gries 5 and a few pedals when I want to play something different. Both great solutions for home playing.

dantedayjob

My bedroom amp is a Roland Micro Cube. My main is a Traynor half stack which stays at my bass players house. I have a Traynor 1x12 combo that will probably come back here, I was letting our rhythm guitar player borrow it, but he's shopping around for a decent amp for himself.

The Roland is a decent little amp, sounds pretty good for what it is. Decent cleans, it can get crunchy or Mesa thick... at least as much so as you could ever expect oout of something that size. It runs on batteries very efficiently, so much so that I put the wall-wart away and don't know even where it is anymore. When I want to play, I just toss it on the bed and plug in. It's also great for toting with me when I go to give lessons, it has strap buttons on the sides, I pulled the original handle off and slip a guitar strap over the buttons so I can sling it over my shoulder.

The Traynor combo, when I get it back from my buddy, will have a spot next to my bed. It's 50 watts, but since it has a master volume, you can still get good sounds at conversational levels. Turned down to whisper levels, it sounds alright too... you miss the crunch of the tubes at that point, but it's still sweet.

Gary F.

Folks often mention about how much Leo Fender got right on the first take: the tele, strat, p-bass, etc. I'll nominate the champ/vibrochamp, too. Just perfect little practice amps...

trisonic

I just use my Roland Cube 60 on the blackface setting. Sounds great and can literally be set to whisper levels. It sits behind me here in the computer room and I often noodle thru it with my telecaster while I'm on the internet.

I can appreciate people around here having loads of really good tube amps (I wish I could) and I am quite capable of hearing/feeling the difference playing thru different amps...but this cheapo solid-state Cube 60 is still one of the best purchases I ever made IMO. As stated, it makes an excellent practice amp on the blackface setting and I've done dozens of low volume gigs with it in the JC clean setting. Not as good as a 'real' amp, but it does well enough anyway.
I too use a C60 at home - Why? Because all my tube amps are racked up in the basement and I like to play guitar on a whim and with the C60 you just turn the thing on and play instantly.
So far as I know the C60 is a real amp and I too tend to use the BF, AC or Tweed settings - sounds pretty damn good to me for noodling! If someone rang up to come over for jam I'd still grab the damn thing. It is both light and powerful enough and better than my ears.
Best, Pete.

FloridaSam

Silverface Fender Vibro Champ and a new Vox AC4-TV. Usually one or the other but in Stereo this bedroom set up is awesome.

bruceplays

Silverface Vibrochamp - Easy to be loud though. Usually its the D16GT. My wife loves that. Makes my fingers stronger, too.

Bruce

scott58

POD XT Live and some pedals through a Valve Junior. Most of my practice is around 2am. This is perfect for it.

Laheart

I have three, Vox DA5, Roland Micro and a Vox Pathfinder. I find myself using the Pathfinder most of the time.

Jerryr

I use my Cube 60. It easy to grab and the built in effects are tolerable enough for experimenting. I also have a Zoom H4 recorder which I can use with headphones and throw on record if I've got something interesting happening :)

musicman1

Micro Cube. I use it for band practices too. I mic it up w/a Sennheiser E609 and run an SD 1 in front with the amp set to the JC setting with a little chorus and short delay. I only run it on AC anymore though. Starts too get too dirty after about 5 hours on battery.

The whole thing fits in a rolling backpack with a tuner, a vocal mic and my charts.

Mark C

Fender GDec in the living room (jam while watching the telly) or Line 6 toneport (for serious practice and transcribing in the office). For clean tones, a princeton reverb and for loud dirt tones during the day, a Marshall 18 watt clone. Also have an Axe FX set up in my recording chain, as soon as summer break comes, I'll take a day to dial in more patches and get it set up as a better daily practice rig.

LLbean

Carr Raleigh. Because I have a trust fund.

No, really because it can do a nice clean and takes pedals well. And a gnarly overdrive at (very) low volumes. Suppose there was a lot to recommend the Mercury, but it that was a bit too much amp for me. The Raleigh seems like everything I need and nothing I don't.

muffin manuk

I use a matamp littlerock and 1by12 cab.
Great fendery cleans to full on sabbath tone's at library level's take's pedal's really well and built to last absolutly great amp and very underrated considering the price

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Silver Supporting Member
I just use my Roland Cube 60 on the blackface setting. Sounds great and can literally be set to whisper levels. It sits behind me here in the computer room and I often noodle thru it with my telecaster while I'm on the internet.
I think of my Cube 60 as my TV amp because I leave it on if I'm watching TV so I can noodle around off and on all evening. I can grab whatever guitar is plugged into it whenever I want and just start to play. If I doze off and wake up at 4 am and it's still on it's no big deal.

If I decide to do some serious practicing/playing or recording I'll usually fire up the Axe FX, Sig:X or Super Reverb. Can't really turn the Super up above 2.5 or so in my apartment but it sill sounds great at that volume.

It really depends on the mood, but sometimes it's the Super with my 335 and Zendrive, sometimes it's the Strat though the Sig:X with some occasional delay, or if I'm writing, the Axe FX.

It's really nice having a choice depending on the circumstance.