What are you using as a bedroom/practice amp and why?

nekothecat

I used to play/practice my electrics without any amp at all for years, until I realized that it's actually detrimental to playing good electric guitar. Gotta plug in. It's a whole 'nuther thing.

Then I went through a phase of playing through headphones with either a modeler or an iso-cab, until I realized that while it was good for accuracy, it was turning me into too much of an introspective player.

So now I use little amps, or big amps turned down most of the time.

Suhr badger, usually when I want to plug in my whole gigging rig. Or a Fender princeton, which is friggin awesome and so simple and pure.

But by the TV is... a VOX VT15. I play it at low-to-absurdly-low volumes. My favorite "true" practice amp. I love it. In fact, it sounds so outstanding and is so lightweight that I actually brought it to a practice once...

...and then promptly brought it back home, where it sits and continues to be the bestest practice amp ever.

Eagle1

Marshall JVM 410c
best sounding tube amp at TV volume I've heard. Lives by the couch with an MPX1 sat on it.

Dale

Killer Ant, Gretch 6150 (attenuator), Tweed Deluxe (attenuator), El Daibl0 60C Master Volume Amp, various Clean amps with pedals.

Primakurtz

A Tube Works 2100 amp through 2 1 X 12" Cabinets. Why?
1. I already own it
2. The stacked cabs gets the sound to ear level
3. Sounds icky at high volume, but lovely at low volume. Just right for home use.

Wilbur

PV Backstage II. It's hidden behind one of the drapes in the living room. It sounds surprisingly good for a little SS amp. It was inexpensive as well. I've often thought about upgrading it, but the question, "to what?" is never answered. Admittedly I like the new PV Transtube stuff - although my 2 main amps are both tube amps.

Previous to the PV it was a Vox AD30VT.

billstets

Line 6 POD into a mixer into a stereo. I also have a drum machine, iPod and 16 track Korg DAW going into the mixer.

Why? Because I can get a great sound, mixed nicely with whatever I'm playing along with and all at whatever volume (including headphones) I want, so I can play any time of the day or night.

picnic

When I play late at night, I use my Lonestar Special set at 5 watts.

there's always the volume control

primerib

I just can't practice quietly. I use a half stack for "non-band" jammage. Usually a 6505, Triple Rect or Baron MI60L into a vintage 30 loaded cab. Now the volumes are usually at or under '2' on the dials so I'm not loosening the rafters in my house. LOL

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
A 50 watt Rivera Fandango.

When I need to play quietly I just turn down the Master volume...wow, what a discovery I made, Master Volumes make the amp softer. :)

Saved myself a bunch of cash by not buying "bedroom practise amps".

you can do this?:jo.... i use the same amps I play out with at home too... mine can all get real quiet and still sound good to me..... if I get real crazy I'll plug into my digital recorder and use that to play through too....

mrmax

Usually I use a Marshall 4140 Club & Country (because it's right next me & my computer chair) but...I have several amps in the bedroom and it depends on what type of sound I'm looking for. Also in the room are ; Gibson GA 40 , Twin reverb, Boogie DC 10, Studio .22+, Heartbreaker, 2 Simulclass Satellites, Modified Bassman, Modded Triple Giant & Velocity Valve power amp & Fender SFX Satellite, 4- 4-12's & 4- 1-12's . :YinYang:YinYang:YinYang

Tubebender

Blackheart 5 watt mini stack on 3watt w/ boss ds1(stock) when the MRS is home, or any of my arsenal of amps of 40watters and up since my neighbors are Rap-listening, boom boom, rattle my bathroom mirror bastards.

Last edited:

mrmax

Blackheart 5 watt mini stack on 3watt w/ boss ds1(stock) when the MRS is home, or any of my arsenal of amps of 40watters and up since my neighbors are Rap-listening, boom boom, rattle my bathroom mirror bastards.

I could cool them down real quick, I also play bass ;Acoustic 370 w/1-18 reflex ,4-12 Hiwatt (voice of the theater style), Sunn 2-15 cab w/2 400watt JBL e 140"s , SWR BIG BERTHA, Goliath Jr. III W/Kustom Groove Box 1300, and a Community 4-15 Sub, Let me at em! :boxer:boxer:boxer:drool

Pat Healy

Line 6 Guitar Port. I am in serious need of a small amp. My smallest rig is an AC30 or Bassman

I also use a GuitarPort for playing quietly at home, and I'm actually rather pleased with it. Most of the presets are garbage, but if you spend some time you can coax some pretty decent tones out of it. I've even done a little recording with it.

It's not replacing my Egnater Mod50 anytime soon, but it's not a bad little unit.

Franklin

I have an unmodded Epiphone Valve Junior Combo, but it's still pretty loud so I play acoustic at home 90% of the time because I live in a small cape. That's fine for me though, I keep my fingers in shape so when I grab my Tele or Strat it feels easy on the hands! :)

Whoopysnorp

In my apartment I have a Mesa Studio .22, Rivera M100, and Randal RM100. The Rivera and Randall heads both have the inner pair of tubes pulled, then their outputs run into a Hot Plate. The Studio .22 is reasonably easy to tame using the master volume. With the heads I have a Lopo 2x12 with a Vintage 30 and a G12T-75 wired up completely independently so I can use one speaker at a time (the Rivera sounds best with the 75, while the Randall sounds best with the V30). Even with the attenuator I can barely turn the master volumes up at all, but I can get them up to the point where the tone is pretty good.

ahardmark

Um....Matchless DC-30, because it's my only amp. :facepalm I'm not complaining, it's a sweet amp, but for home use a practice amp would be more ideal. I could really go for something low-watt like a Carr Raleigh, or maybe something with power scaling like a Suhr Badger 18. I'm trying to suppress the GAS....

never-enough

Silver Supporting Member
at home if i plug in its into a roland cube20.
its plenty loud enough for jamming along with the stereo, and if i sound good through that little amp, i sound like a million bucks through my other amps!

gbsmusic

Gold Supporting Member
Korg Pandora with Bose headphones. Why? I dont hear my Wife and Daughter bitch at each other!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom