What are you using for a keyboard stand? Any DIY's?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by d-rock, Jan 10, 2019.

1. d-rock

d-rock Supporting Member

One of my biggest gripes with the keyboard industry is the boring stands. I found that x-brace stands are really not all that stable for me when I'm playing organ with the palm smears. I'm thinking of building something.

What is everyone using? Any DIYers?

2. Devnor

Devnor Member

For something like organ smears a quicklok Z stand pretty easy. You can add a second tier. A friend built one out of steel, welded the thing up. It's easy to go crazy with these things to find out you no longer fit on stage with other players.

I've been slowing buying used Gibraltar drum hardware trying to build a version of the Ed Diaz stand. There's nothing else as stable that allows complete freedom when positioning your keyboards.

zekmoe likes this.
  3. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

I had a Roland KS18Z which worked very well. It was a little bulky to transport unless you completely take it apart, but it is a huge improvement over x-stands. Now I have some sort of folding table stand by Stagg. It's only good for seated playing but works well for 49 to 61-key synths etc.

4. stevel

stevel Member

Boring is not a concern for me. Not falling over, or not having the keyboard fall off is a bigger issue!

I've actually got a drummer friend who builds kits for people who could probably do this - so you should maybe ask around - spare parts could get you close to the Ed Diaz video above.

For me, I wanted lightweight, easy to collapse and pack in the car - so I use an X brace. I drilled an extra hole in it where the pin goes so I can put in a Caribiner to make sure it doesn't collapse - because the pin rounded off and it did collapse on stage one time. I also put duct tape from the outside rungs so it when it spread it can't spread any further than the tape allows, like those luggage stands they used to have in hotels.

Some rubber grippy stuff from the hardware store prevents left and right sliding.

But what I ended up doing with mine because the height wasn't quite right was put one of my guitar cases across it first. It adds weight and stability and allows a wider base for more stability and feet room - and pedals and junk down there, and lowers that center of gravity, and the guitar case is sticky enough it won't slide left or right, and then the keyboard's rubber feet won't slide on the guitar case!

I just find the so damn expensive for never being exactly right and I can't stomach that.

I really want a VERY adjustable 2nd tier and many can do height, or angle, or height and angle together but not the right combination...

The drum hardware is probably a great idea if you can afford it, or get it used, and can probably mount all kinds of stuff to it (or weld it on!).

5. Devnor

Devnor Member

Too bad ultimate support no longer makes all those A frame stand parts. You can cobble something together like the Diaz stand but the old plastics are becoming brittle. I don't trust them. I have 3 old A frame stands I'm about to scrap out.

zekmoe likes this.
  6. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

If you just need one level, the Z-stands are really good - stable, not too heavy to haul around. I think I had an On-Stage one, but I think all the brands make one. Some have an option to add another level to them, too, though I'm not sure how stable they'll be.

7. spence

spence Member

8. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Look into 80/20 channeled aluminum.

It comes in many shapes and sizes, and has many available fittings, and there are examples of other DIY tables and work benches on their website.

https://8020.net

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I had a ton of that stuff back on the days an and sold it for next to nothing years ago. I didn’t research it that they no longer made it because I could really use a three tier stand now.
    The Gibraltar one looked promising but too deep for my space.

10. p.j.

p.j. Member

I have aa old Roland electronic piano in our basement that is on a cheap, grey, resin table. It works and is very stable. Not something I would want to travel with, but great for my needs.

11. onewire

onewire Member

Wow. Wasn't aware of this. I've been looking for a wheeled stand for my Kronos with rack mounts underneath and a monitor(video) stand behind. The normal choices are prohibitively expensive, heavy and don't tick all the boxes. This may be just the ticket. There just happens to be a distributor in my territory (I work in the field). Gonna research a DIY solution.

MoarGear likes this.