What are you using for a wet amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pgurlea, Dec 26, 2009.

1. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I am running a Marshall clone dry amp and using a direct box to feed the input of a wet amp. I run my OD pedals in front to the dry amp and my effects in front of the wet amp. I have tried a few wet amps including quality tube amps run clean, but for me the best sounding has been a Fender Rumble solid state bass amp with a 15” speaker. I don’t know why the Fender sounds better. Maybe it’s the solid state clean in combination with the 15” speaker but my effects sound fuller and more ambient than through other amps I have tried. Anybody else using a solid state wet amp, if not what are you using?
    Take Care,
    Paul

2. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

50W Hiwatt 2x12 custom.

rob

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I've played around with this some. I've never gotten a result that was worth the effort but I'll share what little I've learned. A lot of guys think for wet amp(s) SS is the way to go. An example, Landau uses or used a Marshall SS power amp after a mic pre. Bob Bradshaw even recommended the little Carvin PA amp for this. I've used the Carvin but never went with the mic pre, I just took a line out off a Hot Plate. It worked but I liked the sound of the amps loop better so I never went further. There is a forum called Huge Racks Inc., you might drop in there and ask as there are several guys there running wet/dry/wet rigs.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/portal.php?sid=90ffd4b2ba07683ffd8f81f9462a838f

4. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the insight Jakeddy. I'll check out the site you mentioned. It's good to know others have used SS wet amps as well.

Thanks Rob.

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I use a Stewart PA 100B- half rack space, 50 watts per ch, 100 watts bridged (I do this). Feed it from a H&K redbox (simulation turned off) from an unused speaker out from the amp head, to a Multivalve, to the Stewart to a 1x12 cab. Works great, not too much weight.

gb

6. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

used a samson servo-500 into two EV 12L thiele cabs. ~175w/channel at 8 ohm (500w mono/bridged)

Was the most transparent amp I've ever used. Sounded and felt like an extension of the V.