What are you using for volume/solo boost??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mvd18969, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Looking for a little help here. My rig is fairly straightforward; I plug into a Mesa Mark III combo and the only effect I use is an Ibanez DD1000 digital delay through the fx loop for some delay and light chorusing. The other guitar player in the project I'm in is a rack junkie. He uses one of those Line 6 modeling preamps w/ all the bells and whistles including a volume pedal.
    I need to find something that will work for boosting my volume for solos. Here is the key..............whatever it is cannot change or affect my tone!!! I won't compromise there!
    Your suggestions and recommendations please!!

2. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I think any clean boost or eq boost will work well in your effects loop. That will keep it from driving your preamp harder and distorting the tone. The effects loop is after that and before your power section. Try something cheap like a used MXR Micro Amp. It'll work before the amp as well providing you have enough headroom in the preamp section.

3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Check out the Xotic RC Booster(prosoundcommunications.com)...used by a ton of pro players, perfect for your needs.

5. thintele

thintele Member

Keeley Katana Boost

6. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

i run an mxr micro amp in the loop after any other stompboxes. works great provided you've got a little headroom left in the poweramp.

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I use the MicroAmp in the loop too.

I have an RC Booster before the amp, but I use that for a little hair. A clean boost is a waste of that pedal IMHO. It's better to add its own character, as it has a good bit of gain and tonal flexibility.

The MicroAmp is one knob, set it for a solo boost and stomp on it when you need it.

8. Cado

Cado Member

I used to play through a Mesa MKIV & would use the onboard EQ for solo boosts.

9. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

10. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Passive volume pedal in the FX loop. Set the amp's master to the maximum volume you want, and use the pedal to fade between the louder and softer settings. A good volume pedal with a way to set the minimum volume is what you want; that way you can go all the way heel down for the minimum (rhythm) volume without turning it all the way down.
    Since it's passive and being used in the loop it's guaranteed not to add any noise and shouldn't affect your tone at all. It's basically like taking the amp's master volume and turning it into a footpedal. Lots of guys use this kind of setup with great success.

11. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso. Cleanest, clearest clean boost I've tried.

12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm back to using a Boss EQ in the fx loop, it's usually set up with the eq set flat and a slight boost in the volume slider....it works great as a solo boost!

13. JimH

JimH Member

I use a Keeley TS-9 - the issue for me is how the amp is already set. If the amp's set loud and compressed already the pedal won't achieve a volume boost.

14. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I use a Micro Amp also. Sometimes I will use a MXR 10 band EQ too.

15. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Micro Amp or the MCR Custom shop version cae/mxr mc-401.

16. NativH

NativH Member

I have an MXR 10 band EQ that I use on the front end of my pedal board to boost leads. Kinda of reverse scoop or boosted mids setting. Keeps the highs from piercing eardrums and the lows in check. I use Gibsons through non-mastervolume Marshalls and it works very well.

17. Fairfield

Fairfield Member

I use a Morley Little Alligator Volume! The minimum volume is really convenient for switching between rhythm and lead volume!

18. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Lots of recommendations for the MXR Micro Amp. Does it add any dirt or color your tone in any way? I plan to try something in the FX loop after my delay. I looked at one on ebay and the knob is labeled "gain" which I dont need! Hopefully that just means volume.

19. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I think most of the sweep of the knob is pretty clean gain. The thing is, if you place it in your effects loop... a little on the knob goes a long way. My experience with clean boosts on the front end of the amp is that entirely depends on the headroom of the preamp. A lot of people run them in front to "slam" the preamp for more gain as opposed to a clean boost. My AC30 type amp is that way... not much preamp headroom to work with.

You can get a huge, more effective straight boost in the effects loop. That's why I said the Micro Amp... it's cheap and simple and should be great in the effects loop. If you find it doesn't work, move up from there. You can also use an eq pedal in the loop for a boost and tone shaping if you decide to go that route.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Timmy is what I settled on ( very transparent and uncolored ), but the sexdrive has a nice warm overtone to it. Also... the Megalodon Boost looks pretty cool.

Try the Timmy. Nothing stacks better with other pedals. You'll thank me later.