• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What are you using, head and cabs or a combo?

What are you using

• Heads and Cabs

• Combos

Results are only viewable after voting.

GrooveSlinger

I have a head cab coming for my SCXD (built by TGPs Mike9). I'll be running that or my Bugera V55 through one of my Alpha Pup slant 1x12s, or Bitch 2x12 or 4x10 full slants.

cram

being able to switch cabs is awesome.

having the head unit separated and buffered from vibrations helps longevity I imagine.

Having your woman follow you in to the bar with a 2x12 on her shoulders like a boom box in the hood speaks volumes.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Heads and cabs.
Carol-Ann, 65amps, Glaswerks and Brown Note.
I like having the ability to mix and match my amps and cabs.

M

Member 995

I've had both. A combo is much more convenient for me. I don't have an amp at the moment.

goldtop4g63

I use both
Marshall 76 Super Lead and 79 cab
Combos
65 Vox AC30
Mesa DC-2
18 watt marshall/vox ef86 (in the process of being built)

Last edited:

gkoelling

I have both. The combo is a Gries 35 and the head/cab is the gkoelling.

The Gries gives me some of the sweetest BF tones I've heard and the gkoelling takes me to tweed territory. I'm real happy but want a living room amp just because. After that a guest room amp might be nice, or maybe a dining room amp. The kitchen amp is a maybe...not much room and too greasy. If I get a laundry room, or bathroom amp it'll have to be waterproof and that could get expensive.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
For me I typically use heads and cabs. I prefer making 2 heavy trips versus 1 really heavy trip :) Also, on most of the combos I have owned, I have ended up swapping out the original speaker. Where with amp heads, I just put the new head on one of my cabs and go from there.

Combos are great to have around, I have one. Both amp formats have there place.

HCarlH

I'll use anything that sounds good.
Usually a Rivera Fandango combo because it's my newest, favorite amp.

I'll also use a Marshall JTM-45 head into two 1-12" speaker cabs with Celestions.

My other usual setup for smoky bars is a Digitech RP1000 (used as a preamp) into the effects loop of a Seymour Duncan combo amp.

I will say that, everything being the same, I prefer combos because it's less to deal with.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom