What are you using with your Tim?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matt F, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Matt F

Matt F Member

Got a Tim on the way and wondering what pedal folks would recomend putting in front of it? I'm going to be using a Fender Strat into a Fender Twin Reverb II head. Music style would be, well, I guess my own Rock-Blues meets Fusion.

Looking for any input on what yall think works well. Oh yea, sorry if this is a :horse thread. Tried searching for Tim but engine won't pull results for just tim only Timmy.

Thanks for yall's thoughts :)

Matt

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

A Klon into the TIM would work very well. The Klon certainly does a good Blues Rock thing and fattens Strats and Teles really well.

I have Klon running into a Timmy and it's a great combo. The Klon creates a big muscular slight overdrive/boost to which the Timmy adds gain and a slight grind without congesting the tone.

I'm sure you realise that the TIM is not going to be thick and juicy like many overdrives due to its transparency (which of course is its great strength) With this in mind another way to go would be to rely on both channels of the TIM for your gain, and put an EQ in the TIM effects loop to add more warmth and mid-thickening for the occasions where you want a thicker tone.

I think a number of TGPers can recommend some good EQs for this application.

Oh another thing-don't be scared to try other opamps in your TIM when you've had it for a while. An LM1458 is a bit warmer while still offering good transparency and a RC4558 tubescreamer chip will juice things up a bit but at the expense at a little bit of clarity.

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

+1 here for the Klon. Another option that works 'really' well into the Tim is a treble booster. I'm using the Pete Cornish TB83-Extra into the Tim and into the AC30...some truly hellacious tones there.

4. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

1st thing you'll learn here is ignore any advivce from Perthians... you'll wind up owning 42 OD's and a BYOC Deelay.. LOL:crazyguy

Anyway... I really like Comp+ TIM+ Amp. TIM can be very articulate, dialing in a variety of tone colors. Keep it simple, get to know your TIM, then add a higher gain OD if necessary.

Edit: The Treb and Bass pots are reverse.

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Ok, for a start we're 'sandgropers' and 2ndly...hang on, isn't a Gecko some kind of lizard :D And further more...until Clay returns my overdrive it's 41. 42 indeed...pffffft :messedup

6. erksin

erksin Member

CoT50 Red into the Timmy is my favorite pedal combo at the moment, putting an EQ pedal in the mix is cool too...

7. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Kinna funny, the Tim is one of the few pedals I didn't feel needed something in front. The 2 stage design pretty much got me there .
    Actually, the Zen by itself is super sweet

HJ

8. OOG

OOG Member

try a SBEQ in the loop:cool:

9. jero

jero Member

I put a Eternity and Hotcake in front with the Tim and both work great. I think when you put overdrives in front of the Tim key is to not set the drive on the Tim too high. :YinYang

10. SteveR

SteveR Member

With my Fender Vibrolux ... I run TIM into AC Boost. TIM is set up for light breakup, stacked with the AC for big crunch and kick on the TIM boost for singing lead.

With my Peavey Bandit ... I run a Stampede SOV-1 into TIM. In this setup, the SOV carries the bigger crunch and lead. TIM is set for more of a medium crunch with the boost engaged (volume set for unity). Stacked, and using the neck pickup, the two pedals are giving a very cool fuzz-like sound.

Steve

11. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I put in an order for a Tim as well, and I'm curious as to how it will react with my OCD. I already own a Timmy, and I'm very anxious to try out the two-stage setup with the Tim.

Anyone used the Tim with an OCD?

12. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Well, my OCD compelled me to buy TIM... does this count??:crazyguy

13. drolling

drolling Member

Matt, I've only had mine for a couple days, and I'm very happy to say it works as advertised - w/a good EQ in the loop (presently vascillating betwwen A BJF SBEQ and an Antelope MoringDew) you can really 'tune' this pedal to run optimally w/just about any guitar & amp. It seems to pick up where Timmy leaves off, and Timmy was about the best thing that happened to my rig in 2005.

Haven't had a chance to do much more than 'test' it w/a few black/brownface Fenders, an AC-15 and a funky old Gison Falcon. Guitars used so far are an almost stock '52RI tele, a Kinman-loaded thinline tele, an ST-54 strat w/Fralins and a couple Gretsch hollowbodies;one single coil & one w/F'tron-style TV Jones classics. At least two of the amps (and a couple guitars) can be notoriously pedal-unfriendly - but I've been able to dial it every time. I have other uses for those equalizers, tho, and should fire up the sldering irom and finish that sniper mod on an old Boss GE-7 as a substitution.

I've barely had but a few moments to do any serious *stacking* before and/or after TIM, but I'll say this much, I've got a 1/2 dozen "retired" pedals that have a new lease on life, thanks to TIM.. I guess I'll be keeping my old Zendrive, after all..

And I'll second the recommendation on the Lovepedal as well as just about anything from Bjorn at BJF.

But, really, I've spent most of this short time w/nothing but TIM between my Vibroluxe and tele - there's a huge variety of sounds to be had from this pedal all by itself.. I could probably do a whole gig w/just it and some slapback echo!

14. Den

Den Member

I run to a Barber Burn EQ and then to my Tim. Between these two pedals, I can get more great tones than I know what to do with ... from edge-of-breakup to violin sustain. This combination works great with my Rambler and my Tomcat, although the Tomcat has its own great OD on its own. With my Rambler, these two can easily conver any tones I'm looking for.

It appears Tim blends well with a lot of pedals, and it's EQ really helps make the most of just about any rig.

15. Cussion

Cussion Member

I use my TIM together with my swedish handmade 6V6 25 watt combo. Works great!
    Sounds great with every guitar.. Strat, Tele, Les Paul, 335, Malmberg..

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got a Tim on the way sometime in the next few months - so I can't speak from TIM-experience. But I can speak from Lovepedal experience.

Hands-down, nothing teases awesome tones from pedals like putting a Balance in front. I can't explain what that Balance has cooking in there, but man - if you like your Zendrive for instance, just try a Balance in front of it! It keeps all of the Zen goodness and adds a tad of fat, a tad of "distinctness" and makes for endless sustain - even at lower gain levels on the Zendrive. Totally awesome IMO.