What are you wearing, dahhhling (in the studio)?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zenpicker, Sep 28, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Now this may seem like a trivial thread, no pun intended. But here's a real question: what is the best way to minimize noise from clothes inadvertantly brushing against acoustic instruments when recording with a super-cranked open mike?

I play acoustic guitar with a stereo mike setup that is quite sensitive, then I run it all through a gain stage in a preamp, so by the time my signal gets recorded any extraneous noise is clearly detectable. E.g., if my sleeve happens to brush the body of my guitar at the wrong instant, it's thereby part of the recording. Unfortunately my sleeve isn't all that musical.

I guess the best thing I've found so far is a cashmere sweater--far quieter than cotton. Pants are trickier, though it's a little less of an issue since the guitar just sits there on my leg.

So, what do you all recommend? What do the pros wear? This sounds like such a silly issue but I have seriously messed up otherwise good takes because of some stupid stray movement. So I figure someone who does this all the time might have better ideas than I do.

Now, now, I can hear all the snarky jokes about recording naked, etc. etc....go on, let 'em rip, but note that I live in Chicago, it's damn cold in the winter, and I try not to have the furnace running in the background while recording. So, humor me here.....and tell me what you're wearing when you go into the studio.

2. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

Old sweatpants and a t-shirt. I also make sure when recording acoustic tracks that I breathe with my mouth and nose at the same time -- I did a recording of just my acoustic guitar into a very sensitive microphone and in the recording, each exhale and inhale through my nose was very audible -- how embarassing!

Or you could just record wearing nothing at all (maybe the Chilli Peppers did this already) - In my opinion, recording is like standing in front of the mirror naked and then being FORCED to look at yourself - the good and the bad.....

3. MattB

MattB Member

I would stay away from the naked route. If you get a bit sweatty you could get some bad squeaks :p

Sweater and a long sleeve T.

-MattB

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Cotton button-down shirt, right sleeve partially rolled up. That's my answer today, anyway. :)

I dunno - whatever I wear normally. As long as no buttons are hitting the wood it's not a problem. The mic doesn't pick up my clothes rustling.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

The only time I've thought about what clothes was late one night at Decca's West Hampstead Studios when I'd ordered a mini-cab to take me to Liverpool Street Station after attending a session of The Keef Hartley Band (for the "Battle of NW6") with Neil Slaven. I was standing in the foyer tapping out a drum rhythmn with my feet (I tend to do this when bored).

Mike Vernon suddenly appeared looking agitated - "Oh, it's you, Pete. For f@#k's sake please stop tapping your feet we're picking it up on the vocal mic in no.1". Martha Velez who was the one singing thought some idiot was tap - dancing in the studio somewhere (which should have been deserted).
    Since then I tried to wear sneakers around studios..... I think I was 19 at the time but this incident has kept in my memory as if it was yesterday (not surprising, really).

Best, Pete.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I generally wear jeans and a T-shirt, and let 'er rip.

Never had a noise problem. Well, except that time I farted.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

"Depends" make that crinkling sound every time you sit or stand. From an audio standpoint, I think it's better to live with the incontinence.

8. achord

achord Guest

Winter: khakis or jeans and a golf shirt
    Summer: shorts and a golf shirt

It's usually cold in studios, but I'm hot-natured, so it doesn't present a problem for me.

Stay away from those swishy "windsuits" you usually see older women wearing.

9. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

Is that something you learned from Mick Jagger?

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Um... yes!! Yes! I learned it from someone else, not personal experience!