• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What are you working on?

zenas

Damn that hurts.....but probably not when in put in perspective to the whole situation.
I was going to build next year anyway. Actually planned on this year but it turned to crap last spring so I held off, then lumber prices went through the roof. I had a nice Avion camper, I got cheap, kinda hooked to the old house I was going to tear down. It worked. Actually lost more on amps and guitars than then I had into the place.
Fire started in the old house, I managed to pull six amps out, holding my breath. The rest were in another room and already lost.
Worst part was I didn't think the camper was going to burn. Well you don't think during a fire! I stuffed the amps in my car, it was raining. In hind site I should've left them sit outside and grabbed stuff out of the camper. These three amps and my guitars were in there.
But it's just stuff at the end of the day. My daughter was staying with me, in town from L.A, no one was hurt. That's the main thing!
Hoping to maybe reuse the chassis from the Fenders, not really worth it but for sentimental reasons. The other brands of amps were pretty much unrecognizable.

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
Got the 2204 up and running. Had a bit of a challenge with the Mojotone layout, as it places a dropping resistor between the choke and the screens, so had to fix that. Other than that minor hiccup and the bias circuit needing a tweak to add more range on the cooler end, it was a very smooth build. Almost no unintended noise to speak of, even before cleaning up the lead dress.

I built it without either treble peaking cap and without a bright cap, but I may wind up adding on or the other to add just a hair of top end. Also planning to make a few tweaks to goose it a bit - likely a bypass cap on V2a, dropping the cold clipper from 10k down to either 8.2k or 5k, and adding a resonance cap (which is why the presence resistor has a blank space currently featuring a jumper).

PSX_20201105_114459.jpg

Rob s

i have bad insomnia and took a CBD gummy to see if that would help me sleep. Well apparently I bought a 5F1 kit from stew mac and I have no memory of it.
First off, I never would’ve bought this kit, and if I had done so while conscious , I would never buy it with a jensen 8” and tubes.
none the less, it was a fun couple of hours building it.
the JJs sound fine but I’ve already replace the 12AX7 with an old RCA From the stockpile. The speaker has to go....
made the NFB switchable.
and I like V1 cathode bypassed w4.7ufd.
woohoo

Ampegged

Silver Supporting Member
i have bad insomnia and took a CBD gummy to see if that would help me sleep. Well apparently I bought a 5F1 kit from stew mac and I have no memory of it.
First off, I never would’ve bought this kit, and if I had done so while conscious , I would never buy it with a jensen 8” and tubes.
none the less, it was a fun couple of hours building it.
the JJs sound fine but I’ve already replace the 12AX7 with an old RCA From the stockpile. The speaker has to go....
made the NFB switchable.
and I like V1 cathode bypassed w4.7ufd.
woohoo
I'm gonna try this one with the wife......will report back

Just finished working on my strat. Neither tone knobs were working. Took off the pickguard and started taking ohm readings on the pots. Turned out the bridge pot, which is one of those pots that takes it out of the circuit when maxed, was reading open across all tabs. So I removed it, pried off the back cover and found that the contacts were no longer making contact with the carbon plates. I tensioner them back up, slapped it all back together and viola, back to normal.

paulg

Gold Supporting Member
.Here’s an amp I’m finishing up. The preamp is a design from Merlin . Blencowes book. It’s a medium gain, three stage design. It uses the brown bandmaster tone stack, which I was keen to try. The output section is a cathode biased EL 34 design from the Matchless Clubman. The overall concept was to use existing parts i have on hand. I used a Low Power Tweed Twin chassis . I’m happy with the results. / 906D1D42-7698-4C53-B5E4-5B92F36B3D77.jpeg

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Gold Supporting Member
I decided that a disorganized stack of eight or so unlabeled cardboard USPS and Mouser boxes piled on the bench was not a good way to "organize" parts. So I picked up some Sterilite bins at Menards, built a corner shelf out of some 1x6 pine, and set to work organizing and printing labels:

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
No vertical member in the back corner of the 'ell'?

I like those containers too, got all (OK, almost all) my preamp tubes in four of 'em. I just stack them, good exercise as I always seem to need something from the one on the bottom!

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Gold Supporting Member
No vertical member in the back corner of the 'ell'?
Nope, no vertical members in the corner. The corners are biscuit-joined and glued, and the bins are fairly light, so I think it'll be fine. If the shelves start to sag, I will wedge some supports in there, or put a plywood back on the short leg of the shelf.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Just got the head cab back for my '62 Bandmaster that I picked up recently. It had been recovered in black and the existing grille cloth spray painted gray to 'match'. I peeled it and sent it off to Will at Armadillo Amps to be recovered in the original livery -- he did a great job! While it was away I went through the chassis and got all square with it. It is the Bandmaster variant that had an 8 ohm secondary, so I'm having Will do a 1 x 12" cab to match it. Maybe use a Fane A60?

Trending Topics