1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favorite bang for your buck amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jarrett, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

For me the king is the Tech 21 Trademark 60. $500 new/$350 used, 1x12, 60 (SS) watts, two channel, good clean, good OD, effects loop, SansAmp Direct DI, reverb, boost, all footswitchable with an included footswtich. A very decent sounding, good around amp that covers lots of territory.

I dig the OD of the Peavey Classic 30 at $500 new or so. But the clean is lacking.

I dig the cleans of the Hot Rod Deville at $750 new or so. The OD channel isn't good though. Has anyone checked out the FAT version of this amp?

For boutique stuff, I dig the VHT Super 30 at around $1000 new. It's a really versatile two channel amp that sounds better than a lot of amps twice its price.

For monster modded Marshall gain, I think the Splawn stuff is as good as it comes. Their prices are up there but still considerably cheaper (like half) from their competitors.

What other cool bang for the buck stuff is out there?

2. -kk-

-kk- Member

Laney's old VC series was some serious value for money. not too sure bout their new range.

VHT pitbull 45, definitely. great amp, and you can get them used for quite cheap too.

kelvin

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

This is going to seem really odd.

I think my TR Onyx was a great bargain. Yeah, I know, it's an expensive amp, but it does everything I need, so one amp does the trick, and I've stopped shopping for amps.

4. gls500

gls500 Member

I could easily live with a Peavy Classic 30 or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. People get great tones from those amps, and sometimes I play through them and wonder why I try so hard to do better.

But then again, the gear is part of the fun for me.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

'60s Ampeg Reverb-o-Rocket 200-400 bux. Great sounding amp.

6. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I like the Crate Vintage Club 20s.

These respond really well to having ALL their
    electrolytics replaced/upgraded to premium
    caps.

7. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

I vote the Classic 30. Mine has been modded with Orange Drop caps and IMO that makes a huge difference. Compared to a stock C30, mine sounds much more open and bright.

Anyway, I also second the Mesa suggestion. Great amps. Also, the Tech 21 stuff (the Tri-ac) is impressive. I've only heard what's available on the web site but I like what I've heard.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Fender Pro Junior. Great little amp for the money, IMO.

Silverface Fender Pro Reverb. HUGE, AWEsome tone, highly underrated amps!

'54 Tweed Deluxe. I have a Weber Cali 12 in mine, and it breaths fire...! No need to shell out $2G for a '58, IMO.

Alessandro Working Dogs -- pick one up used for $800+/-, and rock out!

They're just a couple that come to mind.

9. jnavas

jnavas Guest

Another Trademark 60 fan here. Incredible amp for the $.

Looking seriously at a TR myself, though right now I'm more interested in rolling my own.

10. tvonu

tvonu Member

Aiken Invader MKI 18 watt
    Aiken Tomcat

They both rock and are reasonably priced for boutique amps

11. Chi

Chi Member

Ditto on these two. The Jr. is a GREAT bang for the buck and I love my old Silver face PRo.. SFPR can be had for about $500.

I'll also add the Dr.Z's, esp the Ghia

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I've been sounding like a broken record the last couple of days, but I have to go (again) with the TM60 just like some others. I also had a C30 that was good too.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Dr. Z amps and Alessandro's Working Dog line.

both offer amazing point to point wiring at 1/2 the cost, with tone to spare.

and amazing that despite ramping up production, Z's pricing hasnt changed all that much, and yet he offers the same quality for his amps.

same with George's WD line. tone eerily similar to his higher end line, yet peek inside one, and you'll wonder how the heck he kept the prices down.

14. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Diezel VH-4, used at $3500 is only $875.00 per channel, much better than $2800 for a one trick pony plexi copy IMO.

15. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Member

for me it was a used Mesa/Boogie DC-5 for $550.00. The amp does both clean and dirt very well and is 50 watts of 6L6 power. For that price its tough to find anything better in terms of tone per dollar.

I also got used VHT Pitbull Fifty CL with EQ and Reverb for $900. Not nearly as versatile as the Mesa but sounds awesome!

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

TopHat's current production deep cabinet (tube rectified) 1x12 Club Royale. Insanely great sounding amp with British chime to British grind, in a "grab and go" size package. The cabinet and chassis quality of these amps is clinical/anal, it's so good.

You could probably pick one up used for a g-note. Great value.

17. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I keep hearing about these. Leon, do you have any clips or info on toneage on these puppies?

18. Unburst

Unburst Member

Fender Pro Jnr. $200 used.

Run through a 2x12 cab I would happily use one for any purpose, mine has seen a ton of recording time.

19. phoebus

phoebus Member

My Cage Corsa 30 (used to be the 18/30 head). The gigs I have with this amp the more amazed I am at how good it sounds. It covers many ranges of music with the right pedal. At $1100 it was a bargain. I do think the prices will be going up soon, but even so it still a steal.

20. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member