• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What are your favorite bargain tube-amp heads & or combos...

jrockbridge

Tell me about your favorite bargain (bang for the buck) amp heads and/or combos. What kind of tones does it offer? What style of player do you think it matches best? Why do you like it?

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
you can still find very good prices on stand-alone '60's Fender Bassman Heads, not the whole head/cab piggyback hardware rig, those are beginning to get expensive, but for a snotty loud, super headroom, handwired clean blackface voiced head, the intrepid 50 watt Bassman head is still one of the better values and just a great hardworking amp.

Jordan63

Silver Supporting Member
Peavey Delta Blues with the 15 inch speaker is my fav of the lower priced amps I have played. I got it mint for $300 used. Great clean sounds and when you crank the clean channel nice dirt as well. I ignored the 2nd channel.

I bought a new Carvin X100B far cheaper than other 100 watt heads out there. It is a good clean platform and does hard rock tones pretty well.

Unfortunately, Carvin seems to have ceased production of heads and cabs. I will probably never replace it, as it's likely to be my last amp.

Axe-Man

The cheapest tube amps in Aus that are well made and sound good are the little Orange Terror lunchboxes.

They generally go for $500 and under and you can often find mint condition Tiny Terrors, Dark Terrors and even Jim Root Terror amps at this price point or lower.

Excellent angry little amps through a big cab.

The Blues Juniors and AC15s then come in about $100 more.

For metal, the 6505 is often a total bargain as are DSLs for a more classic/hard rock bent.

All solid offerings.

ggwwbb

Peavey VTM is an excellent bargain that will do just about all eras a Marshall very well
Fender Prosonic is a highly versatile bargain that can be had for around $500-$600 if you are patient
Fender Pro Jr is a great little cheap combo
Carvins are great, quality amps that can be had for cheap

Bentayuk

Silver Supporting Member
Jet City fairly at the top, you can find those as low as $250, and they are so close to a Soldano Hot Rod, it hurts.

Peavey Windsor after that. They do great classic Rock to classic metal tones and can be had as low as the JC.

highrise

Best bargains:

Cleans: Blackface Bandmaster/Showman

Cleans w/reverb: Silverface Bandmaster Reverb / Dual Showman Reverb

Rock/Metal: Fender Prosonic, Mesa Tremoverb, Peavey 5150II

Honerable mentions: Delta Blues (15”), Carvin Legacy I

I had an old 100w VK212 from Peavey that sat well between Fender and Marshall -- a very versatile amp, and you could probably score one for $250 or so nowadays.

BK Butler Realtube 6025, got it in a pawnshop for $75, Butler Tube Driver as the preamp stage, SS power stage, one 10" speaker. Yes, it's a hybrid and you might discount it for that ... but it sure didn't feel much like one playing. Very dynamic and tactile.

Scored a used 71 SF Bassman 100w head back in 1991, $100, beautiful cleans, vomity dirt, but with pedal help was my #1 amp for over a decade.

slayerbear17

6505+ half stack
6505+ 1×12 combo
Jca22h.

All 3 I picked up for prices I could have easily flipped for a nice profit.
But I didnt. Such great solid amps.

Custom50

Most Laney amps go for peanuts 2nd hand and many of them are great rock amps.

Old Silverface Fenders, Traynors, Ampegs, certain Peaveys and occasionally Sunn. Sunn amps seems to have jumped in price a bit but I just scored a 68 Solarus for just under 600 Canadian...so like 400-450 USD and that's a hell of a solidly built amp for that kind of cash. Once in a while you can still get a good deal if it's a motivated seller.