What are your favorite prog songs by bands OTHER THAN Crimson/ELP/Yes/Genesis/PF/Rush?

Grenville

Big Big Train are worth looking into - can do with a bit more edginess at times, but The Underfall Yard album is brilliant work.

Little_Wing

I can dig it, see above post, almost posted a renaissance song but went w/ Hawkwind
There's a couple of coincidental facts in my post. Rick Wakeman was in The Strawbs, up until From The Witchwood and John Hawken played keyboards for Renaissance (before Annie Haslam joined) and is on Hero And Heroine.

No_Stairway

There's a couple of coincidental facts in my post. Rick Wakeman was in The Strawbs, up until From The Witchwood and John Hawken played keyboards for Renaissance (before Annie Haslam joined) and is on Hero And Heroine.
You ever see the Yes box set that came out in the 90's? If memory serves, it had a flow chart linking its members to all the bands they played in, blew my mind as a kid.

If I could find a link I would share it for OP

muffinman

Silver Supporting Member
lots of great stuff in this thread, I need to visit some of these later for sure.

Didn't see them yet mentioned so I'll throw in Dixie Dregs (and Steve Morse Band obviously), Happy The Man, and Captain Beyond. Can't link videos at the moment (in a video meeting) but I assure you they're worth looking up. Especially the Dregs!

You ever see the Yes box set that came out in the 90's? If memory serves, it had a flow chart linking its members to all the bands they played in, blew my mind as a kid.

If I could find a link I would share it for OP
That flowchart came from Pete Frame's Rock Family Trees (and was slightly updated). I've got two of his books where he has the family trees of many major bands and I spent hours going through that stuff.

I ended up getting two of the books for Christmas one year and it was fantastic to see all the cross pollination.

If you're a music nerd I HIGHLY recommend the Pete Frame books. You find out stuff about musicians you like that will kind of amaze you.

Trending Topics