What are your favorite tape echo emulators and why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CloudyJim, Mar 6, 2008.

1. CloudyJim

CloudyJim Member

I know nothing compares to tape, but for those of us that can't afford the real thing........what comes the closest?

I have the DE-7 and love it. It's warm, dark, and self-oscillates. However, it doesn't have a way to add tape distortion.

I'm interested in the
    Guyatone TD-X Flip Tube Echo

Anyone ever tried one of these?

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

theres one of those on the emporium for auction. auction might have ended. i checked out some reviews online and it seemed pretty good but somethin put off about it. i cant recall...i think it was noise to delay at middle to higher/longer settings. search it online

i think the DMM or quicksilver is the route im going for a tape delay sound. theres a lot out there

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

My buddy brought over his Cornish TES, and that got awful close. Also, I really liked my old Quickilver (when you had a comp or low gain OD in the loop) for those sounds.

4. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I really like the Ibanez EM-5 EchoMachine. I don't know how close it is to the DE-7 since I've never played one of those, but the repeats have a warm slightly overdriven sound to them. I think I remember reading that it has an overdrive circuit on the repeats to give them a bit of that tape distortion sound. They go pretty cheap unless you have $1500 laying around for a Cornish TES, but I guess price ='s tone around these parts.

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Chandler Stereo Digital Echo. Why? 'Cause it's so smooth, has modulation and sounds just like tape.:AOK

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

As far as analog delays go, it's hard to beat the Moogerfooger one. Best to try and find a used one. Pricey.

7. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I think the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay does the best job of tape delay even though its digital..:RoCkIn