• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

what are your "no go" on pedal choice??

strat71

Mine are:
- pedal advertised as getting famous amplifier tone: give the plexi sound, give the brown fender sound, etc... (pedals are pedals, not amplifiers wanna be)
- small switches on the pedal top, near the main foot switch... (seriously, you know it'll break one day, why do you like that?)
- too many knobs (make it simple... we don't need no computer on the floor)
- dual pedal (i'd rather been able to change one component, and keep the other if needed)
- multipurpose switches (one pedal must do one thing so i don't have to choose and be frustrated no to use another thing)
- non true bypass (i can change the switch wiring though)
- big enclosure (pedalboard friendly please)
- new too popular pedals everybody talks about (rather wait for the hype to pass and check again if i really need it)
- one song pedal (not enough room on my pedalboard)
- digital, usb (i need something i can fix myself)

i guess it's my way to resist the pedal gas ;)
stay positive

Last edited:

Matt Pemulis

I don't do displays. I've played bass since 2000 but didn't get into pedals until COVID hit. And by that time I was teaching kids in my class and online simultaneously, and the last thing I wanted out of my hobby was yet more time staring at screens. So things like the Source Audio C4 and its editor were straight out, and even things like digital displays on pedals seemed so odious I still can't do it. I'm sure I'll get over it someday but not now.

grovest

~
Silver Supporting Member
There's something I didn't realize how much I disliked until buying the UAFX Golden reverb pedal. I really don't like the having a preset function with traditional knobs but no feedback to indicate the value of each knob stored in the preset. A screen plus encoder knobs is so much better from a usability perspective.

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
Mini pedals. They don't have enough surface area to really sit and be stable on a board for me and my big feet kick them all around. And they have microscopic controls that you can't read on stage.

Not a big fan of top-mount jacks either, but avoiding those would be too limiting. :)

Oinkus

Pedals that try to do 3 or 4 effects in a standard sized enclosure. Make a multi effect unit or don't. Generally you get a few mediocre effects. The Keeley Dynomyroto is a good example of what I mean but just because it wasn't good for me has about zero to do with how it will work for other people.

strat71

thanks guys, i realize i forgot mini pedals as "no go"... :) the only one i bought and kept a while was an EP boost but replaced it recently for a bad bob boost... maybe just for the classic enclosure ;)

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
I dunno.

Am I the only one who will give anything a try?

I don't have any hard and fast rules about what a pedal needs to have or can't have. As long as it sounds good and it's not incredibly frustrating to find the good sounds? Works for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom