What Are Your "Perfect" Albums?

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
5. Revolver. Sgt Peppers gets the world wide acclaim but this was the moment the Beatles could claim that rock was an artform and be able to show their detractors the door. And this one here is my favorite Beatles album.

I do agree that Revolver is a more perfect album, but I still think Sgt Peppers was more significant historically. If Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields had not been omitted, Sgt Peppers would have been pretty hard to beat.

Angstwulf

Gold Supporting Member
I do agree that Revolver is a more perfect album, but I still think Sgt Peppers was more significant historically. If Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields had not been omitted, Sgt Peppers would have been pretty hard to beat.

Absolutely. Sgt Peppers can safely claim to be one of the most important and influential rock albums ever.

Some of their best song writing is there. Pretty crowded field, mind you. Revolver, for me, has a more consistently high quality of cuts. An absolutely, totally subjective opinion for sure.

I think I’m going to compile a list of “most influential “ rock albums.

Gotta do some laundry first.

Angstwulf

Gold Supporting Member
To be honest, I never really got into B.A.D. I bought This Is B.A.D. and liked it, but didn't love it. They've had certain songs I've really liked, like I Turned Out A Punk, Rush, E=MC², and I love Good Morning Britain, by Aztec Camera with Mick Jones guesting. I know Joe was involved with 10 Upping Street, but I never did get familiar with it, and haven't heard it since I was a teenager. I should rectify that. The Mescaleros are probably my all time favorite band, or at least in the running. I also really liked the Latino Rockabilly War stuff.
B.A.D. were more interesting than good. Mick Jones was the musically adventurous one in the Clash and Big Audio Dynamite was kind of his Frankenstein's lab. Most of the music didn't age well although it was impressive how much of what B.A.D. did really influenced recordings in the 80's and 90's.

The Clash was another example of how so many bands did their best works because, rather than in spite of, big egos getting in each others' way.

See also: Pink Floyd, The Police, The Beatles, Van Halen...

X Ray

Today these

The-Las-debut-album-cover-820.jpg

stone-roses-03-06-13-a.jpg

81Y16VTtxeL._SL1200_.jpg

LP Delucks9

Silver Supporting Member
Great list.

I have to confess, I never glommed onto Global A Go Go, or Strummers other solo stuff.

I shall give it a fresh listen and get back to you.

What’s your take on 10 Upping Street (Big Audio Dynamite)?

I don’t think it’s a GREAT album but I love it’s sense of imagination and daring. Plus I thought it would be a Parent Trap moment for those two and maybe mummy and daddy would kiss and make up and record a decent Clash album again.
Not a perfect album - but I really liked 10 Upping Street from BAD. The album is all over the place, the songs were catchy, fun use of audio clips from songs and movies. It wasn't the clash and wasn't supposed to be. Joe Strummer was involved in several of the songs and I think produced much of the album.

WildRanger

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust; Station to Station
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush; Harvest
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Yes - Close to the Edge
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Deep Purple - In Rock
The Doors - The Doors
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Rush - Permanent Waves
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Opeth - Blackwater Park
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Portishead - Dummy

Last edited:
For me perfect means - where I simply wouldn't change a thing.

+ Smashing Pumpkins : Gish
+ U2 : Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree
+ Swervedriver : Raise, Mezcal Head
+ Leftfield : Leftism
+ Puiblic Enemy : Fear of a Black Planet
+ Megadeth : Rust in Peace
+ Sparta : Wiretap Scars
+ Janes Addiction : Nothings Shocking, Ritual de lo Habitual
+ Karnivool : Sound Awake
+ Alice in Chains : Facelift, Dirt
+ Radiohead : The Bends
+ Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy : Hipocrisy is the Greatest Luxury
+ Soungarden: Superunknown
+ Rage Against the Machine : Rage Against the Machine
+ Fugazi : Steady Diet of Nothing
+ Nine Inch Nails : Pretty Hate Machine
+ My Bloody Valentine : Loveless
+ Metallica : Master of Puppets
+ Danzig : Danzig II - Lucifuge
+ Orbital : In Sides

There's probably a few more, but that's the main ones for me

Angstwulf

Gold Supporting Member
+ Megadeth : Rust in Peace

I love that entire list. Rust In Peace does stand out for me. I'm not a huge metal fan. Of the big 4 thrash bands, Metallica is arguably the best, Anthrax is the most interesting but Rust In Peace is kind of a stand out. I've often recommended it to people who "get" music but don't "get" metal. Something about it clicks as an entire piece.

Plus, I don't think Megadeth has played better as a band (on record) before or since.

Gurn

There may be better cuts on it, 2 Gil Evans'-arranged masterpieces for example.
But there are none more evocative & every track is perfect - a perfect album.

Astrud Gilberto had one of the most unforgettable voices of 20th Century.

This was the first hit for Summer Samba. Soon a bigger hit by Brazilian Walter Wanderly
on B-3 came later in summer, 1966. Recorded in the same session as Gilberto's version.

That record led to Jet Set Music! Your grandmas & grandpas frolicked on the beach.

Brasília was the city of the future. Copacabana was the beach of the Now.

Last edited:

Top Bottom