What are your thoughts on a single Greenback in a partial open back cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SoCalSteve, Aug 8, 2008.

1. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I initially wanted a Greenback for my Avatar Vintage 112 (the oversized one) but was dissuaded by some people posting that they only like GB's in pairs or quads so I ended up with an Emi Wizard.

I've owned a Wizard before and it's a nice sounding speaker, but I'm finding that I'm only running my bass at 9:00. It seems my Rockytop 10 head and this Avatar cab provide more than enough low end.

This being the case, I'm thinking of revisiting my initial idea of going with a Greenback. My amp is Marshall voiced and the heaviest stuff I play would be the occasional Judas Priest/Black Sabbath and lately moving towards bluesy stuff.

Any thoughts?

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

played a traynor 20 watt amp with a green back in the open cabinet, sounded great, they are low power is why you usually see them in pairs, if the amp is fairly low power the speaker should be fine, 25 watts is all they can handle, and its nice to have some cushion for tube amps, like twice the amps rated power, learned that the hard way with my marshall cabinet, 4 green backs do not handle the power from a 100 watt marshall head, needs 8 of them.

4. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...the greenback is a great speaker for lower powered amps....to my ears its a bit dull compared to other Celestions but that can be a good thing if your amp is on the bright side as most 6V6 and el-84 amps are...

5. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

It sounds great in my Brown Deluxe clone. I tried many speakers, G12H, Scumback G12H, Century Neo, English Greenback, V30...I settled on a Chinese Greenback as it was best.

Mike

7. frank62

frank62 Member

I have one in a Blues Junior. The Greenback is my favorite speaker in any amp or cabinet.

8. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've never used a Greenback in a 1x12, but I just ordered an openback 1x12 from Kerry Wright & he told me that John Shanks also uses this cab and loads it with a Greenback.

I figure John Shanks knows a thing or two about tone so I'm going to give it a try. I should have the cab in a week or two & I'll see how it works out for me.

I've been using a Bogner 1x12 openback cab loaded with a G12H30 Anniversary for the last 3 years or so & I love how it works with my Divided by 13 JRT 9/11 head.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Greenback in an open back cab was pretty icepicky sounding the last time I tried it, and it was a pre-rolla model too.

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I think the tubes have something to do with whether you want a greenback or not, they sound good with european tubes, EL-34 and EL-84, which are used in the traynor I played and the fender blues jr, for american tubes the Vintage 30s are what I usually use, 6L6 and 6V6.

11. adamzappa

adamzappa Member

There are lots of different green backs. A 25 watt in a 1 by 12 wont cut it for me but a G12H30 would be pretty killer in my opinion.

12. SLG

SLG Member

I've never been a big fan of Greenbacks in open back cabinets, particulary 1x12's. Having said that, I owned a couple of Bad Cat Cubs. Those amps sound glorious with the Greenback installed. I chose the GB over the Blues, G12H30's, Red Fang, and Blue Dog speakers. The GB still wouldn't be my first choice in most open back combo amps, but in combinations with certain amps it is fantastic. My recommendation is to be sure your GB is well broken in. I typically break-in my speakers for a minimum of 50 hours before I judge their suitability.

13. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I'm just gonna have to satisfy my curiosity and try one out. I run either a KT66, KT77 or EL34. Read good things about the Mojotone BV25 as well. Randall Aiken speaks highly of them.

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

According to Seavall (Scumback guy) avoid Ms in open back cab as a general rule, and Hs are typically good performers. Still depends on the cab, but I put a coupe 20 watt G12M heritages in an open back, and it sounded like hammered ****. Jim has a wealth of knowledge regarding greenbacks. Should check out some threads he's been on.

15. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I recently put a Heritage G12M in my 18 watt TMB 1-12 combo. Bottom line, the Greenback works well in this application. It replaced a Weber alnico Silver Bell.

The GB has more crunch, and a great cut. It's not as loud as the SB, which allows more tube distortion to come through.

16. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

SoCalSteveI'm just gonna have to satisfy my curiosity and try one out. I run either a KT66, KT77 or EL34. Read good things about the Mojotone BV25 as well. Randall Aiken speaks highly of them.

I have been using the Kt77s lately and have noticed a nicer more focused bottom end. I think this may be anice compliment to the open back with a GB. I am sure the highs will be plenty but hopefully with the Kt77s and some tweaking you may hit something sweet. I would have a difuuser on hand as well to spread those highs out a bit. Let us know.

17. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I use a MIC Greenback in my 62 deluxe, and I love it!

I sort of wish sometimes it had a stronger bass but GB's are not known for strong bass so no biggie, it sounds killer and it helps keep the volume down if thats an issue too...

18. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Steve, aren't you in the Irvine/Newport Beach area? If so, shoot me a call or email, maybe we can meet at Tone Merchants once it's done being renovated and we can go through the choices and you can figure out what you need. I hear it's a week or so from being finished.

God knows I have all of these speakers at my disposal to try out. And I have to go back down there to return the video camera I borrowed anyway. May as well get it all dialed in on the same trip.

19. Degle

Degle Member

I use a single Mojotone British Vintage Series BV25 (basically a 70's Greenback copy) in a partial open-back cabinet with my Savage Macht 12 head. Of everything I've tried with the Savage, this BV in an semi open cab sounds the best.

20. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Jim, that area is above my pay grade, as they say. I'm out in the Riverside area.

What about your newer M75-LHDC. Would that hold up in a partial open-back 1x12 with a low powered (1 - KT77, 10 wattish) amp?

I really seem to like more mid-focused speakers like Greenbacks.