• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What are your thoughts on the Gretsch Penguin?

Danrose

Silver Supporting Member
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get an ol TGP take on the Gretsch Penguins! I love Gretsches, but have never owned one. Thinking about trading in my strat for one, as I already have a 3 pickup tele. Let me know what you think!

Simto

I prefer the Falcon size because I'm a giant, but Penguins are sick too.

Just a little hint, a neck filtertron has a lot of Strat like qualities in the tone and response. Especially for lead playing, so you probably won't be missing it :)
It's a severely underused tone if you ask me.

Turnipfarmer

Penguins are magic. Something about the bridge and tailpiece locations. In general they are heavier and more solid than they look with fat necks that make the scale length feel a bit stubby, even with that big headstock. This makes for a very strong and stable neck. The ebony fingerboard gives back some of the attack lost at the bridge and strings going to tailpiece or bigsby.

bulbasaur_85

Yes, they sound a different vs a jet in my experience. It's not just a blinged up jet. The neck profile is thicker and more of a rounded C vs the v neck I personally don't like on the Jet (only the first few frets by the way).

I like my penguins with T90's or Powertrons!

John Quinn

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get an ol TGP take on the Gretsch Penguins! I love Gretsches, but have never owned one. Thinking about trading in my strat for one, as I already have a 3 pickup tele. Let me know what you think!
Nicely built guitar that is minus the string through Bigsby of the new Player Series. Is definitely a throw back to the 50s era - meaning the pickups don't have the biting mids hit - rather a more rounded open tone that is reminiscent of Neil Youngs White Falcon - so much so that I have played many of the tunes and the Penguin shines. Another wonderful aspect - the middle position appears to me to make my pedals come forward - If you are into Deju Vu CSN&Y - this is the guitar. The negative - They are expensive.

Dashface

I’ve had many Gretsches. I had a green Penguin for a while and it was killer. It’s a great look.

Weirdly it was a lot heavier than any of the normal Jets I’ve owned.

zhivago

I had a Vintage Select one for a while, but eventually moved it on.

I loved the sound of the TV Jones pickups. The construction of the guitar was perfect in every way, and it played itself literally. It was resonant and fairly loud acoustic.

Why did I move it on? The neck. Mine was just huge. More like a large U shape. And it was heavy, because of all the stuff it has on it. For a semi hollow guitar it really was surprisingly heavy. One more thing I have to add is that for such an expensive guitar, the case felt rather flimsy, but the case candy was great.

All in all, if I could find a Penguin with a medium C neck and around 8.5lbs I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

alextheguitarguy

Silver Supporting Member
I got a Tele with TV Jones pickups, ebony fingerboard and bigsby that scratches that itch (at least that’s what I tell myself every time I find myself looking at Penguins for sale :)).

Do I still want a Penguin strictly on the fact that I think they’re one of the coolest looking guitars? Yes.

sickboy79

While I don't own one, I think they are amazing. I'm a big Duo Jet fan and it's pretty much like a mix of a White Falcon and a Duo Jet. Can't go wrong, IMO.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned both old and new duo-jets, and it's a form factor and sound I really like. Of course, you've gotta be onside with the bling, which doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'd be just as happy with a Duo Jet with the same pickups.

Trending Topics