What are your three ultimate channels?

GYBE!

Silver Supporting Member
As the title says, pick your three favorite channels one for clean, crunch, and lead/hi-gain. They can be from three different amps, or all from the same amp. Also, give some indication as to what style of music you would be using your rig for (either by saying a genre or naming a couple of bands).

the(sims)

I love the Green channel on a VHT Pittbull 50/100 CL for a gain channel. They use this same voicing on other amps I believe, but I know its the Green channel on the CL series. It's so responsive and you can dial in about any dirty tone you can imagine. Adding in the boost takes it into metal territory and with the EQ option on VHT amps you can get the scooped tone, the 80s metal tone, you name it! My settings are: solid state rectifier, Class A/B, hi gain, edge and shift engaged. I use the boost for higher gain riffs and lead. I use the EQ to slightly boost the bass frequencies, slightly lower the mids, and a tad of boost to the highs. I use a Holy Grail pedal through the FX loop to add reverb. Killer channel!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting concept. Unfortunately I'm going to modify it a little:
Clean-Brown Super or Vibrasonic and Vox AC30
Crunch-Metal panel JMP50
High Gain-Morin Preamp

mentoneman

two rock opal/fuchs tds clean

mojave peacemaker crunch

third is a toss up

egnater or two rock for legato fusion sounding leads

diezel einstein/aiken sabre for hard rock leads

GYBE!

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I suppose I should also play considering I started the thread:D

For clean, I would have to say a Bad Cat Black Cat...I have never owned one, but had the pleasure of playing one (even played one of the pre production models, when they were called Panther (I believe, its been awhile))

For crunch, probably a Komet 60. I know alot of people view it more as a lead amp, but I love the crunch sound out of it. Would also have to consider a Voodoo V-plex or Bogner Shiva...

For high gain/lead, I really have to say it is a toss up between Ch3 on my Herbert or a Roccaforte HG-100. As far as the Herbie is concerned, I have never had an amp that can get that saturated/wooly and still retain definition and clarity.

I would be using this monster of a rig for what I would call heavy indie rock.

Oh, and I will say that my main motivation for this thread is to get an idea of alot of the amps that are out there that I am not familiar with. It seems that every now and again when I pop on the board (I'm much more of a lurker here) there is another amp I am not familiar with (such as, say a Barber Echeleon).

And, DrBob...you aren`t, by chance, from wisconsin are you?

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Clean - Matchless Superchief

Crunch - Savage Blitz 50

High Gain - Bogner XTC Classic or maybe a VHT CLX

I play a variety of styles, but find myself the most comfortable with straight up rock and roll (stuff like Pearl Jam) or blues rock. There's no way around it, the Superchief and Blitz 50 are two of the best sounding amps I've ever encountered. I have some sweet memories of the red channel on the Bogner XTC, so I gotta give some love to the amp that gave Vai his screaming, singing, liquid sustain on songs like "Die to Live" or "For the Love of God".

IPlayHamers

Fender Twin for clean. Marshall metal panel for crunch and Trainwreck Express for lead. This would be the ultimate for me.

e-z

1) The Normal and Brilliant channels of a Hiwatt DR-504 jumpered.

2) The Normal and Brilliant channels of a Hiwatt DR-504 jumpered.

3) The Normal and Brilliant channels of a Hiwatt DR-504 jumpered.

GYBE!

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by e-z
1) The Normal and Brilliant channels of a Hiwatt DR-504 jumpered.

2) The Normal and Brilliant channels of a Hiwatt DR-504 jumpered.

3) The Normal and Brilliant channels of a Hiwatt DR-504 jumpered.
:D Thats awesome!

Laroosco!

Matchless Clubman clean

Route 66 dirty

The third channel would be a toss up. Either a Clubman or Route 66 with a Fuzzface

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
i'm easy.

1. Fender HR Deville for clean

2. Mesa/Boogie Dual Rec red channel

3. Mesa/Boogie Dual Rec red channel w/slighty altered EQ, and delay in the loop.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
Three ultimate channels? Hmmm...
1) The History Channel
2) My local PBS
3) Okay, I'll admit it... the Playboy Channel

:D

waxnsteel

Why not four? Randall or Boogie will give em to ya?

Deluxe clean
AC30 not quite so clean
Plexi dirty
XTC filthy

On clean stuff, if you've never messed with a Mesa V-Twin, I highly recommend doing so. Run the green setting into a clean amp, and there's just something extra there that I love.

Edgar Winter, Steeley Dan, Marshall Tucker, American Hi-Fi, Vertical Horizon, Train, White Lion, Journey, It's all over the place.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Fender Vibro King- clean

MB Mark IIC + - in between

MB MK IV - thick soulful distortion

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
Fender Vibroverb cleans
Cameron Marshall for rhythm
Trainwreck for leads

Trending Topics