• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What attenuator for my 1974x?

BDUNN

Silver Supporting Member
I apologize if this topic has been discussed recently.

I was hoping to get some input from you guys on what is a good attenuator to use with my 1974x? I was looking at the bad cat leash, and z airbrake. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!!!
-BDUNN

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Dr Z all the way. No tone sucking. Just the bass goes down some. It blows away a Hot Plate.

QRSS

brutalist
weber used to make some low-watt attenuators made to mount inside the combo. never used one but that would be what i would look at.

Samsun19

I just researched this, and landed on the Ho Attenuator, who is the man that designed the UA Attenuator. Mr YuKong Ho is a amazingly cool cat. He is in Canada, and offers base models at a very resonable price, compared to the competition that is.....

His attenuator is really a "re-amping" device. And the result is, you eliminate almost all of the negatives associated with the old style attenuators...... compressed/mushy/non organic feel. The Ho/UA approach is very transparent.

http://hoelectronics.com/Product2.php

Give him a call, you'll be glad you did.

Best,

soldano16

Consensus is that the Mr. Ho's device is the clear winner in terms of what's readily available today.

jamme61

Silver Supporting Member
Which is better, the HO or the ultimate attenuator, are they the same thing? :dunno

sickboy79

Dr Z all the way. No tone sucking. Just the bass goes down some. It blows away a Hot Plate.
Funny - I'm the opposite. I've got both the Z Air Brake and a few Hot Plates. I personally prefer the Hot Plate. Both for tone and flexability. Both are great but, I lean towards the Plate myself.

mitch236

Which is better, the HO or the ultimate attenuator, are they the same thing? :dunno
They started out being the same. It's been a while since I've researched it but if things are still the same, the Ho is handmade by Mr. Ho (the original designer) and the Ultimate Attenuator is mass produced overseas.

gbravo

Gold Supporting Member
Just received my Ho attenuator and plugged it in for the first time this weekend. I paid just over $400 for it. It absolutely works as advertised. I've got a Marshall 1987X with an Avatar 4X12; I had the amp turned up to 8 and it sounded amazing. Slight coloration of the tone and you miss the thump from the speakers, but it definitely gets 2 :AOK.

Another note...Mr Ho is incredible to work with. He will build the box in any configuration that you choose.

Trending Topics