What band or artist has the most consecutive great albums?

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
For me -

The Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Van Halen
AC/DC

Edit: forgot AC/DC

Last edited:

AlanH

In my genre I'll go with...

AC/DC from High Voltage to For those about to Rock

Iron Maiden from Iron Maiden to Somewhere in time

Whitesnake from Trouble to Slide it in

VH from VH1 to For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

WASP from WASP to The Crimson Idol

Saxon from Saxon to Innocence is no Excuse

Metallica from Kill em all to the black album

Megadeth from KIMBABIG to Youthanasia

Ozzy from Blizzard of Oz to No more tears

Kiss from Kiss to Alive II

Dio from Holy Diver to Dream Evil

Edit:

Queensryche from the warning to empire

Last edited:

V-man

For me:

6+ is the threshold.

Great is a product consistent with fan approval/expectation.

Throw Judas Priest and Slayer into the mix.

I would say that based on “my” standards above, Motörhead may be the among the most consistent of all bands, with double-digit consistent product release.

timmytVA

Platinum Supporting Member
GREAT for me means a four or five star album. It's really, really hard to have a run of them.

Looking at some of my very favorites ... I see two or three great in a row before the inevitable slide back to good.

Petty (I'm a TOTAL fanboy) - The first two are good. Damn the Torpedoes and Hard Promises are great. Long After Dark is good. Southern Accents is OK. Let Me Up is OK. Full Moon Fever is great. Great Wide Open is good. Wildflowers is great. Etc etc etc.

Stones - yes, the run from Beggars to Exile is all time great. Before that, I agree with the earlier poster - great singles, good albums, with some that are ok. After "the run", Some Girls is great, Tattoo You is good, and it's hit or miss since.

I could do some of my other favorites - Rancid, Old 97s, Fountains of Wayne, Brendan Benson, AC/DC, Social Distortion - but they mostly fit the patterns above.

GREAT is really hard - it takes great songs, great performances, great production great TIMING.

Tim

Catatafish

Silver Supporting Member
Beatles every single album
Stones until and including Tatoo You
Led Zeppelin all but Coda
Black Sabbath first 6
The Doors all of them
Pink Floyd all of them containing Dave and Butthole Roger
Eagles
Van Halen with DD
Ozzy with Randy
First few of Iron Maiden
Guns and Roses until Buckethead
Nirvarna
Tool

Honorable mention
Fleetwood Mac
Rush
The Who

I couldn't name one good album since 2002 when rock died for me but it was a good run until Nickelback ruined it all.

YerKidd

Always thought Led Zeppelin had a pretty strong streak going until In Through Out Door, which isn't a horrible album but following the seven albums that preceded it, it sure seemed weaker then it really was.

sst70

In my opinion REM's run of the 5 albums from Murmur to Document which spanned 1983-1987 is greatest 5 album span put together by any group. I really like Green too but don't think it's quite up to the five prior.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Stones big 4.
Talking Heads first 6.
Who-Tommy, Leeds, Who’s Next, Quadrophenia.
Clash-first 3.
Zeppelin first 6, depending how you feel about III.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Who would you nominate?
Stevie Wonder. His output from the late 60s through the 70s is ridiculously good....
Stevie Wonder was also the first to come to my mind.

Was just playing my faves from this run today.

At the time bought Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fullfillingness, etc. thru 'Plants...' and 'Hotter Than July'.
What great stuff.
Even went back and picked up the one right before this big run [Where I'm Coming From] in case I missed anything.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom