JoeYello

Gold Supporting Member
I’m smacking this around......

0292FC86-DDCB-42BD-97AE-7364B2FC007A.jpeg

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
sMMd5RI.jpg

GCRN6E0.jpg

This is a 1998 Rob Allen MB-2. Five pounds fifteen ounces, 34" scale, and an undersaddle piezo. It takes a little tweaking to tame the quack, but this little girl has a huge, deep voice. Guys expecting to see a Music Man or Fender snicker when they see it. That stops as soon as they hear it!

NoiseNinja

Same as almost always, my main 28,6" scale 4 string Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass (even if I do own a regular 34" scale 4 string Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic, which used to be my main, an Ibanez 5 string GSRM25 Mikro Bass, both great basses, especially the Aria Pro II, and an extraordinarily crappy 30" scale vintage Egmond bass from the late 60's, too).

Currently strung up with a gauge .095 D'Addario NYXL bass string and 3 D'Addario NYXL guitar strings (threaded through the cut off ball ends of bass strings, to not fall through the bridge string holes) of the gauges .070 - .053 - .038, and tuned G1 - C2 - F2 - A#2, 3 half steps above regular 4 string E standard bass tuning, 2 half steps bellow A standard baritone guitar tuning, or simply G standard tuning, and played through an always on TC Electronic Sub'N'Up octaver, blending in an 1 octave above signal with the regular bass signal, giving an effect similar to playing an 8 string "octave" bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings.

And this is how this beautiful, lowly, but very much beloved, abomination looks (mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, a failed, and then later filled out (though not quite unanimously successfully either), attempt to drill (:rolleyes:) an extra far neck pickup cavity, various visual mods, a DiMarzio Model P P pickup wired directly to the output jack socket of the bass, and the J pickup from the previously installed EMG Geezer Butler P/J pickup set still there, though disconnected and lowered considerably) :
experiment-bass-666-copy-small.jpg

Last edited:

s2y

120219263_10101322891741466_6644155527970973826_n.jpg

Rob Allen 6 string featuring a one piece redwood top and a 2 piece ash/alder body. The theory was that the ash would add some clarity to the bass side and alder would sweeten the upper register. Did the wood combo contribute? I'm not sure, but it sounds great.

I haven't played much bass in years. I was surprised my intonation was decent.

s2y

sMMd5RI.jpg

GCRN6E0.jpg

This is a 1998 Rob Allen MB-2. Five pounds fifteen ounces, 34" scale, and an undersaddle piezo. It takes a little tweaking to tame the quack, but this little girl has a huge, deep voice. Guys expecting to see a Music Man or Fender snicker when they see it. That stops as soon as they hear it!

Any clips? I've never heard one with anything but the LaBella tape wound strings. I was once entertaining the idea of another brand of tape wound strings since the D string is considerably weaker through the magnetic pickups. Between that and a few other logistics, I think Rob despised magnetic pickups on the MB2 after my 6 string bass.

I once asked Rob about TI Acousticore strings. He commented that they sound interesting solo'd, but very bland in a mix.

Yours must be an early variant of the MB2. I think it came out a few years before that. I think it was originally designed for a Marc Brown or someone with MB initials. The original MB1 was on eBay in something like 2007.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom