What bass are you playing today?

bon ton

Silver Supporting Member
Got the mid 60's Supro Pocket Bass out today that I'm finally getting ready to restore. Shame someone thought those Schallers were a good idea...

Been playing the 2015 CS '55 P I got a great deal on a few weeks ago. It's kinda turned into my favourite solid body. I've cleaned the disgusting fake finger gunk off the frets edges since this pic was taken. Mostly gotten over my dislike of relic'ing but simulated finger gunk crossed the line lol.

3259DB27-60E5-4961-8636-8FB4F8C4D335.jpeg

6DFFDEEF-9C96-4EE1-B88D-C116D9DDD9C1.jpeg

bon ton

Silver Supporting Member
Wish I'd bought one of those Hagstrom Futuramas when they were still around for next to nothing.

Axstar

Ng8Cvqo.jpg

This is my go-to bass at the moment. I went for a minimalist but subtly '50s vibe with this one, with a view to make it as rugged as possible.

It is an Arctic White MIM P Bass body paired with a MIM Jazz Bass neck. It has Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners, a vintage style bridge with threaded saddles, a black anodized pickguard and Bartolini 8S pickups. It is also shielded internally, and all the metal hardware is nickel. The only exception is the nut, which I cut from brass.

I've been recording with this bass and it reminds me a bit of my Rickenbacker. The Bartolinis have a lot of crisp detail and in general the bass sounds subtly scooped but with a big bass response. It is still very much a P Bass however!

Vanilla Latte

I'm playing this lately. Just can't seem to get through a 4 hour set on anything else anymore (due to my aging back). It it weren't for this little beauty (at 6 pounds) I'd have to probably give up gigging.

cQidkqW.jpg

Naigewron

I'm playing this lately. Just can't seem to get through a 4 hour set on anything else anymore (due to my aging back). It it weren't for this little beauty (at 6 pounds) I'd have to probably give up gigging.

cQidkqW.jpg

I get that some people don't like the look/image of headless basses, but holy hell are they comfortable to gig with.

My Lakland J bass is a completely average weight for a 5-string J, but it feels like it's made of literal concrete if I play it standing up after using my Ibanez EHB (headless & semi-hollow).

I'd love one of those Spirits as an even more comfortable travel bass. In fact, I'd love a 30" scale version of one. At that point, you can basically put it in your pocket.

Vanilla Latte

I get that some people don't like the look/image of headless basses, but holy hell are they comfortable to gig with.

My Lakland J bass is a completely average weight for a 5-string J, but it feels like it's made of literal concrete if I play it standing up after using my Ibanez EHB (headless & semi-hollow).

I'd love one of those Spirits as an even more comfortable travel bass. In fact, I'd love a 30" scale version of one. At that point, you can basically put it in your pocket.

Agreed.

As I stated above, my back took a turn for the worse about a year ago and it's been getting extremely difficult to get through a 4 hour gig. At 6 pounds the Spirit has been a Godsend.

I own nicer basses, but they have been relegated to my bedroom (and living room) as "grab and play" instruments. I noticed I play more if I just stick something in the corner of the rooms I inhabit most. I'll eventually put some of them up on Reverb, because at this point in my life I don't see myself gigging with a 8+ pound bass again. My second lightest bass (currently my backup) is an Ibanez that tips the scale at 7.2 pounds. It took a long time to find that one (thank you Sweetwater).

I don't mind the way headless basses look tbh. If I could find a US made Steinberger in the 6-7 pound range I would snag one, but the USA models all seem to be significantly heavier......which came as a bit of a surprise.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom