What Bass Strings for My Son??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by BillyK, Nov 12, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I bought a Squire P-Bass for my son for Christmas. I suspect that the strings suck, and that I could significantly improve playability, tuning, tone, ect with a good set of strings.

What is your recommendation?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I like Ernie Ball bass strings, that's what I use on both of my basses. I'm not 100% sure of the gauges, but I use the set with the icky green label - 45 to 105 I *think*.

--chiba (recently recovering formerly gigging bass player)

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Although the strings on the Squire bass are not the best ,a good setup will do far more to improve the guitars playability
    and tuning.

4. onemind

onemind Member

My son loves Elixir strings on his bass, My wallet doesn't!

5. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Guest

You might want to look at replacing the tuners. I know several people with Squires that wouldn't stay in tune until they swapped out the tuners. I agree with the setup comment too. If you can do it yourself it's free and could help a lot.

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I will definately do a set up with a string change. I'll keep an eye on those tuners.

Thanks!

7. Thor

Thor Member

What kind of music is your son into? Just trying to figure out if he is going to want round wound or flat wounds.

I also want to agree with the above recommendations for a good set-up - it can make a world of difference - especially with less expensive insturments - some of that cost savings comes from a speedy and less-than-stellar set up at the factory.

Remeber that you can boil your strings (though I've never tried that trick with a coated string such as Elixir) to get off the grime and get extra use/life out of 'em:AOK