What BJF OD should I get?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Jul 27, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I play a Les Paul custom through a '63 fender bassman head through 4x12 marshall cab w/ vintage 30's. Right now I'm using an OCD>Eternity>Honey Bee. I love my sounds, I use the Honey Bee for Blues and medium gain rhythm stuff. I use the E for my main rock lead sound and for heavier rock rhythm and I have the Ocd set up for good old marshall crunch. However I find that the only time I really use the OCD is when I want to boost the Honey Bee. I can't boost the Eternity with the OCD because it is overboard and when I stack the Honey Bee and Eternity it sounds good but it tends to be a little mushy. Which BJF pedal would have the least amount of overlap with the Honey Bee and Eternity. I'm trying to decide between the PPF, DRD, LGW. Or should I get a COT50. I guess my main question is which of the BJF pedals would be most useful in my setup without overlap?

2. webb

webb Member

Nice rig. You have a lot of ground covered with your current pedals.
    I'd suggest the PPF or maybe a CAF. The PPF is more of an OD/Fuzz, while the CAF is pure fuzz. If I had to choose one or the other, PPF.

3. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Thanks a lot for the response. Yeah I am so happy that I retired my Marshall JCM 2000 and fixed up my bassman. I really prefer having an amp that can get a great base tone and then use pedals insted of channel switching. Channel switching always sounds unnatural to me. I really have been leaning towards the PPF because it is supposed to be a mild fuzz. I don't really like out of control fuzz but I love the Fuzztones on Doyle Bramhal's Welcome album. Maybe I should get a PPF and a Sex Drive and call it a day.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I would definitley go for the DRD. It is the most versatile BJF pedal I have played. That said, I haven't heard the PPF and I would love to own one. I have the HB, BBOD, LGW, and DRD.
    The DRD can go from blues od all the way to Marshall high gain. It is very dynamic and touch sensitive, like many of the BJF pedals. There is a lot of discussion about it here so definitely read what others have said recently.
    Today I was playing around with the low gain tones on the DRD and I found a bunch of amazing, useable blues tones in there. I had never tried the lower end of the drive dial because of the other BJF pedals I have. Because if its dynamic response, it can cover a lot of territory. If I could only have one BJF pedal, the DRD would be it.
    Funny you mention the E>HB. I also was experimenting with that today and was really loving some of the tones of the E pushing the HB. I am defintiely going to use that as a lead tone on some stuff tomorrow night at the gig. Stinging sustain with a bite to it. I didn't find it mushy at all into my Fargen Blackbird with my EJ strat. Maybe with humbuckers it would be. I haven't tried that yet.
    Again, I would say go for the DRD. The LGW is awesome, but I am finding I am battling with having that or the E on the board. The E has more sustain and sings better, but when I put my Keeley comp set low in front of the LGW I preferred it to the E. Decisions, decisions.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've got a BBOD in the mail, though I had to suck my checking account down to $0.29 to get it. I'm afraid no matter how much I like it I won't be able to justify keeping it. It was a monument to GAS taking control in a rare opportunity for a rare pedal. I feel like I'm d-mned either way. I can't have my cake and afford it too.

6. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

Ah, the BBOD is a great pedal and one I keep going back to. In the higher gain settings, it really grabs the note in such a seductive way. Like most Bjf pedals, there's really a lot to discover in each one. I'm currently, however, working with the PPF>HB stack and it's pretty cool. I too like the OCD(hp)>HB, and it's great working the guitar's volume with it.

7. Craise

Craise Member

My .02
    You have a Marshally pedal (ocd) Dyna Red is much better IMHO..but you have that tone covered. The E is in the TS/LGW vain...(yeah I know the E and LGW are nothing like a TS but they are in the ballpark.
    I'd say go for a Folk Fuzz... it's more of a stright up fuzz than the PPF. It loves other pedal and really melts with anything. FF>HB is Heaven!
    DRD would overlap a bit on the OCD...but DRD is way better IMHO.
    anyway...my vote is for the Folk Fuzz. But you can't go wrong with any in the Bjfe line.

8. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I'd go DRD for many of the same reasons cbpickin mentioned. It's my "go to" pedal for sure. I've had an OCD, which is probably the best pedal I've ever heard from Fulltone. That being said, the DRD is in a whole different league. I'd replace it with a DRD. Just my .02, YMMV....

Best,

Doc :)

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I haven't tried the DRD but have owned the Eternity and currently own a bunch of BJF's (see signature).

IMHO the Eternity (A killer OD) is very Marshally in texture. It is also an OP amp based design. I would assume that both the LGW and the DRD would cover some territory in the Eternity. Especially the LGW.

That said. I'd go with the PPF or the DRD for sure. The PPF>HB is another great combo. The HB really adds something to a Fuzz.

By the way, let's hear some clips of that Folk Fuzz!! What happened to the build your own plan?

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Well then, have you tried the HB in front ? try it with the nature about 11 oclock its also a great boost and you can then take better advantage of its dynamic distortion as your pickups will hit it first ....

You would also probably like an SBEQ at the end....

Les Paul into a 412 with Celestions for Rock? Youd love the DRD:AOK

11. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

There's also the EGDM if you're looking for a voxy voicing. Great higher gain pedal. What I really like about the BJF pedals is that the typical "tone" knob isn't really a traditional tone knob but changes a certain frequency range(s) that perfectly fits each pedal. Simple, but soooo versatile.

12. asdf

asdf Member

Clips of the standard Folk Fuzz (not de luxe)
    http://www.custom-sounds.se/static/en/43/

13. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. When I first got the HB I tried it both in front and after my eternity. I liked it after the Eternity better but I should probably try it before it again this time at a gig. Don't get me wrong stacking the HB and the Eternity is a very good sound and it is my go to big lead sound however it can have less definition then either the Hb or the Eternity on their own. I do plan on getting an SBEQ to run last in my signal and leave it on all the time especially because my bassman only has treble and bass. I didn't know that you could order a folk fuzz I thought that was a specialty pedal. What is the differences between the 3 BJF fuzz pedals. One of the reasons I am asking about overlap is because I love my Eternity and I am a little scared I might buy a pedal that does the same thing and then I will have to make a hard decision on which one to use and or keep. So far I guess I need to buy a PPF, Folk Fuzz, and DRD, oh and of course a SBEQ. Well that's perfect because I have been able to save my gig money from the last two months and I have $1600 so I guess I could get one more BJF pedal as well.:dude

14. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I am going through exactly that this week. I just got my LGW last week and it is different from the Eternity, but they cover the same territory in my rig. They both sound great. The LGW does have a fuller bottom end, yet the E has a little more harmonic chime and sustain. Then I ran the Keeley comp in front of the LGW and it made the decision of what to keep on the board nearly impossible. A little comp is what the LGW needs IMO to rival the singing sustain of the E. Not much, like 8-9 o'clock on the Keeley.
    Go DRD, it rocks!:dude