What book(s) are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by eclecto-acoustic, Jan 9, 2018.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

How is it? Does it inspire you to seek out more Spaghetti Westerns to watch?

Buck Murdock likes this.
  2. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Even Dogs In the Wild, Ian Rankin

3. jaycee

jaycee Member

Half-way through, and so far very interesting. It begins with the first documented "society" at the city of Eridu, near the Persian Gulf, and goes into not only historical details and evidence, but also into cultural aspects and societal structures, based on what they can gather from writings, and art work. I'm past the growth of Mesopotamia into various warring city-states and king-ships, and now getting into the creation of the Babylonian empire. Good read!

DryBones likes this.
  4. Ncp10

Ncp10 Member

I rediscovered the joys of reading late last year, after being swallowed by the Internet. I've mostly been reading biographies/autobiographies of musicians. McCartney now, just finished Keith Richards, Bruce Cockburn and Stravinsky. Looking forward to re-reading Zappa, Miles Davis and Coltrane.

DryBones, Buck Murdock and Blue Light like this.
  5. Buck Murdock

Buck Murdock Member

Hmmm... let me try to be fair without putting anyone to sleep.

The author's vote for the most significant examples in the genre, with each one getting a chapter. It's taken for granted that you've seen those, and maybe that you just watched them. In that sense, I suspect that it's really meant as a college text, and would help spur discussion about the examples, rather than encourage a newbie to hit YouTube looking for other examples. What's weird is that the book isn't all that scholarly; at times it reads like a series of blog posts. Well-informed posts, or extended reviews, but not much criticism/analysis. There's a few selections (e.g., Navajo Joe) that might be off the beaten path of most Spaghetti fans, which is fine.

Not sure if anyone else can relate to this, but it was a "read instead of what I'm supposed to be reading" selection, and it was worth it overall.:beer

A-Bone likes this.
  6. A-Bone

I have at least one book on samurai films that's like this, and I've seen other genres and such receive this treatment. They're like fan books. My concern is that folks think this is what cinema studies is as a discipline.

7. Buck Murdock

Buck Murdock Member

:rotflmao

That's a good way to put it. It's not like you regret reading such books, but if you're already a fan...

That book on disaster movies looks/sounds interesting by the way!:bow

A-Bone likes this.
  8. A-Bone

I'm currently enjoying a book on disaster movies for the same purpose.

Buck Murdock likes this.
  9. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

A great Sci-Fy series to read by Dennis Taylor, The Bobiverse series. We Are Legion, For We Are Many, and All These Worlds. Pretty inventive stuff, a minimum of cursing, lots of space-time explanation woven into the story, pretty cool idea and a great series.

I read all Seven books of the Expanse Series, that's fantastic too (and a cool TV show to boot!).

I'm always looking for more good reads and not just Sci-Fy stuffs, keep them coming...

MuddyDitch and Buck Murdock like this.
  10. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Aw, man. A book on disaster movies? I lived through that era. At the risk of overturning the tables in the quiet of a book thread, here's my favorite disaster-movie scene. Airport 1975. A jumbo jet loses its crew when a small plane flies into the cockpit. To the rescue, Charlton Heston. What really makes this sing is seeing Heston and Karen Black get into a loving clinch.

I return you now to the quiet sanctity of the book-discussion group.

Ncp10, Buck Murdock and A-Bone like this.
  11. A-Bone

It is a good read; for my purposes I'd say it could work as a survey of the landscape. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a big honking critical study of the genre already, but Ryan & Kellner included a great section on them in their book on ideology in 70s Hollywood cinema, and there is a handful of seminal essays on them. This book's accessible, but with some critical analysis. It isn't a compendium of disaster movies.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Buck Murdock likes this.
  12. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I'm on a Brad Thor binge at the moment. Basically, thriller type stories involving CIA, SEALs, clandestine plots, etc.
    Not educational, but fun to read.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Member

I tend to read biographies of famous musicians. Just finished Nicholas Jennings book "Lightfoot" which was excellent. Now I've pulled Geoff Emerick's book "Hear There And Everywhere, recording the music of The Beatles" back out off my shelf to re-read it, because it's been 7 years since I first read it and it's full of great information that I know I've forgotten.

TD

14. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

15. Birddog

Birddog Member

I just finished King's The Outsider. If you're a Stephen King fan, it's a really good book. If you're not, it's still pretty good.
    I just started Small Victories: Spotting Improbable Moments of Grace by Anne Lamott. Fantastic writer and I'm a longtime fan.
    Finally, I just finished re-reading this one, which is mine. Working with the publisher on the final edit. It should be released in time for the Christmas shopping rush: /shameless plug.

[​IMG]

Echoplexi and Buck Murdock like this.
  16. A-Bone

Just finished this, which is a well presented look at the topic in its title:

[​IMG]

About to start this:

[​IMG]

DryBones likes this.
  17. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

18. picton

picton Member

I'm about halfway through and close to giving up on this. It is slightly hagiographic like many semi-official/sanctioned biographies and also tends to argue with previous biographers too much. I'm sure the guy is an expert on the topic but it's not lively reading by any means.

[​IMG]

Blue Light and A-Bone like this.
  19. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

[​IMG]

About a third of the way into it. Despite all the volumes on Jefferson I've read, this professor's take is diverting and fresh. As with Lincoln, most historians just can't help but fall in love.
    Last night I was reading the chapters on his four years in France as ambassador. So it's around 1780, but the guy crisscrosses Germany, France, gets to Italy -- by stagecoach! -- and the whole time he's observing everything -- gardens, building materials, wines, rice, every foodstuff, theater and music, and he's talking to every thinker, too -- and then writing copious notes about it all. The guy just vacuumed up knowledge. But I'm not in Jefferson's corner on every count, to be sure. Fascinating guy, though.

20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I read a lot of fiction from the library as a rewarding means of getting to sleep at night.

Historical fiction (Roman, Greek, Victorian, westerns, etc), espionage, sci-fi, etc. ...whatever’s on the new books shelves that looks entertaining.

I tend to avoid fantasy novels but The Grey Bastards is a very good read. Kinda like a biker gang without the motorcycles.

The Grey Bastards
    https://www.jonathanfrenchbooks.com/

ABOUT THE GREY BASTARDS
    “A dirty, blood-soaked gem of a novel [that reads] like Mad Max set in Tolkien’s Middle Earth. A fantasy masterwork.”Kirkus Reviews (starred)

-bEn r.