What boost/overdrive pedals existed in 1976?

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
I'm specifically interested in Jimmy McCullough ' s sound on Wings Over America.

He's playing a 70's SG standard through either a 68 Bassman head into 2 Marshall stacks, or more likely through 1 or 2 Blonde Showmans into 2 X 12 blonde fender cabs.

(It'shard to tell in the film which guitar player is using which rig.)

I don't think his sound is 100% amp, so I was wondering what pedal he may have used to get that tone.

erksin

Coloursound Overdriver, various treble boosters, LPB-1 - who knows.

Dude had great tone on that record!

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
Wow--I've never seen that video before.

Yeah the Wings Over America video was one of the reasons I started playing. And what made me crave an SG!

Electricb

I love his tones too. Does anyone know what phaser he was using (e.g., check out Silly Love Songs on the Rockshow performance). Phase 100 maybe? Sounds too pronounced to be a Phase 90.

Rockerduck

I love his tones too. Does anyone know what phaser he was using (e.g., check out Silly Love Songs on the Rockshow performance). Phase 100 maybe? Sounds too pronounced to be a Phase 90.
I could only find a phase 90 in 1975. the phase 100 came closer to 1980.

Electricb

I could only find a phase 90 in 1975. the phase 100 came closer to 1980.
I thought this too, but some Googling reveals people selling Phase 100s with pots dated from 75 and 76, so I think it was available. Also, a lot of the tracks on the Stones' Some Girls were Phase 100s and that was recorded in 77.

I think it could also be a Maestro Phaser. The Moog-designed ones would have been in production during this time. Was in an MP-1 or it's big brother, the MSP-1 Stage Phaser?

aaronmcoleman

In the early 70s a lot of guys were getting "homemade effects" friends or guys who liked their music would build stuff for them. I know that was a really big thing in the mid to late 60s with fuzzes, so I'd imagine by the 70s a lot of early tone hounds were using one offs for OD especially.

analogmike

The MXR Distortion+ was used by almost everyone back then.

We also used Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups and Celestion speakers, to nail the 70s distortion sounds, through whatever amps we could afford (usually not Marshalls!)

burns

Univox made phase shifters then too. I've got one called The Sweeper. I think it's a 2 stage ala the Phase 45. This sucker will out vibe my Microvibe.

Tim Bowen

Let's see, in 1976 I was rocking an EH Screaming Bird Treble Booster, the one that plugged into your guitar. Through a no-name knockoff tele that I didn't realize had a tone knob. Yeah buddy, killer tones of the brain piercing variety. On a slight tangent within the thread, isn't the Maestro the phase shifter that Steve Howe used on "Starship Trooper"? Love that tone.

Strat58

Hi I was using a screaming tree together with a LPB1 and a realistic reverb (reverb disconnected). I had a real OD tone into 100 watt tube amps. (not Marshall). I was Always hooking boxes together and make with tube record player and tube radio a very loud rig :)
Peace Strat58

Trending Topics