What boost pedal am I describing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AmpliFIRE, Oct 15, 2008.

1. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

Ok...my main amp is a Rivera TBRSL-1. I've owned many amps over the years, and this is easily one of the best out there. Killer clean, mid-gain and high gain tones.

Anyway, I'm looking for a pedal that will tighten up the amp and make single notes jump out more. I just sold a Timmy because I didn't care for the bottom end for rhythm playing....but the lead tone was great. Other pedals I've tried are: Maxon SD-9, OD-9, Boss SD-1, Keeley SD-1, Bad Monkey, MI Audio Blues Pro, Blue Boy & Tube Zone, Fulldrive II and FoxRox Zim. Each one of thes pedals was either too loose or too compressed (I still own the stock MIJ SD-1 and Bad Monkey).

What else do you guys reccomend I try? How about the FDII Mosfet or maybe the Blackstone?

2. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Well, I seem to be in the same boat. I am looking into a Zvex Super Duper myself. In fact, not hijacking but, if someone has one they want to give me that would be great!

Regardless, I love my amp, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Great tones for my music. Just need a pedal to push it a bit. Had the Box of Rock. It was great, and although I will regret it sometime soon, I got rid of it. I don't really NEED the OD side. I've also heard great things about the Katana. Anyways, that is what I have to say. GL.

3. RedUK

RedUK Member

That'll depend on where your amp is operating - it might be that how you have it set to get each of those 3 great sounds puts it at a place where it's not going to respond that way to a pedal ? Worth thinking about.

EQ ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. AmpliFIRE

5. codyj84

codyj84 Member

You should check out the Keeley Katana Boost. I love mine... Really nice clean boost and if you pull the knob out, it adds some really nice hair while maintaining the integrity of the original tone....

I've got quite a few friends in the CCM circuit who love the Super Duper 2in1.....

c

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

If your situatio will allow it look into an old school treble booster, ala Rangemaster. I use an AnalogMan Beano Boost and I think it' hands down the best Rangemaster clone on the market today.

7. AmpliFIRE

I borrowed a friends Crispy Creme treble booster and really disliked it. It was waaaay to harsh for my tastes.

8. Burgs

Burgs Member

I bought an interesting boost the other day. In fact it's four boosts in one pedal. The Soul Sonic Four Banger. You get a Rangemaster, Jack Orman Miniboost, SHO and the builder's own opamp boost all on the same pedal with toggles and volume controls for each. You can stack them together for some serious drive/fuzz/dist sounds or select one or the other to taste. I couldn't be happier. I put up a clip if you're interested. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=RpAAmZ5-x64

Oh yeah, a link to the builder's site - here it is.

9. AmpliFIRE

bump...anyone else?

10. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like you want something with some added top end. The Super Duper 2 in 1 would get you that...it adds a nice top end sparkle to the boost - really brings your leads out.