What boost to pair with my MF-drive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Apr 18, 2016.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

I don't want to fight the character of the Moog MF-drive, so what boost would work best? This is all into a 1968 Ampeg GS-12r (think Deluxe Reverb on steroids)

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

3. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

4. buzzp

buzzp Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check both out.

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Timmy in case you want to tame that big low end? -E

buzzp likes this.
  6. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

I reckon the MF Boost would have been built with the MF drive in mind/right next to it on the bench ya know?

buzzp and Flatscan like this.
  7. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I most always run mine through a Maz but have run it through my DRRI also.

It's a big drive on its own. I generally don't boost or stack into it. It's not a "magical stacker" in my view. I like it on its own.

I've boosted the pedal with an MF-Boost or a KTR most typically when I did boost. I've stacked a Fuzzrocious Demon (OCD clone) on rare occasions with it.

I would expect that you could boost with a broad array of cleanish boosts though (awesome Greer boosts such as the Sonic Boom or Royal Fromage, a ZVex SHO or Channel 2, the TC Spark etc.).

If you use an EP Boost, I would run the EP Boost at 18V to help tame the resulting huge bottom end. Intuitively, and without actually testing, I don't love the EP-Boost with that pedal.

Edit: for engineering reasons that have never made sense to me (silly move by Moog imo), if you use an MF-Boost you will need an expression pedal to really add meaningful gain. The pedal has very little boost without the expression pedal (again silly for a boost to not have that much boost without an expression pedal).

8. buzzp

buzzp Member

That makes a lot of sense. I really enjoy it on it's own as well, just want a boost for solos... maybe I'll just stick to volume knob manipulation.

9. tabb74

tabb74 Member

In that case, how about just a simpler one knob boost like the MXR micro amp or the TC Spark mini? Put it AFTER the MF Drive in your chain for volume boost.

Flatscan likes this.
  10. buzzp

buzzp Member

Yeah, I'll probably do that... I'm intrigued by the Fulltone 2B because of it's size, and the fact that it has a limiter function.

11. buzzp

buzzp Member

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It's pretty subtle but lovely, sure does away with spiky transients if you want to. And it feels good. :)

buzzp likes this.