• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

What Boss Pedals Are As Good Or Better?

Slevin

Silver Supporting Member
Ive tried every boutique pedal I can think of. Expensive fuzzes, rare drives, mn3005 delays. I now have an entire boss board on a nano +:

Analogman ds-1 black version
Analogman tr-2
Waza ce-2
Waza dm-2
Rv-6

Its as good as any boutique board ive ever put together. I do miss the tone benders and fuzz faces, so maybe ill go get the fz-2 or fz-3 at some point to cure my fuzz needs. Ill get boutique pedals again for sure, theres so many great ones out there but over time ive grown out of the -hate boss for no reason- phase. Their stuff is still phenominal.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Ya @songtalk I edited my post to be more articulate. I definitely tried a broad array of settings with all the pedals (and any pedal that I test more generally).

Sweet spots are not always "obvious." Extreme settings can be the best settings.

Agent76

Some are really good some are kinda weird some are quirky some had very minimal use and then were massively desired 30 years later.

One constant remains, they sell them by the truckload.

Mentat

I still really love my Boss BD-2 And I own a few costly offerings from "boutique" builders (which I also love, like my Menatone Blue Collar).
All I can say about Boss is that there is a reason you see so many of them on the pedal boards of the Pros. (who can afford to get whatever they want)
Either because they sound fantastic or the player used them before they became pros. Either way Boss has a special place in the heart of many players. :aok

singularity6

Sorry to necro this thread, but I'd like to chime in.

Most of my pedals are BOSS. At any given time, I'll have a chorus, delay, reverb and at least 2 overdrive/distortion pedals, and they're all BOSS. There's a Morley Bad Horsie there... And occasionally the Joyo Tauren.

Realistically, their pedals always seemed yo do it just right, and are fairly reasonably priced. If I were to stray to another company, it'd probably be to JHS or Wampler (not only do they make nice pedals, they seem like cool dudes and I'd like to support them.)

Last edited:

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
Sorry to necro this thread, but id6like to chime in.

Most of my pedals are BOSS. At any given time, I'll have a chorus, delay, reverb and at least 2 overdrive/distortion pedals, and they're all BOSS. There's a Morley Bad Horsie there... And occasionally the Joyo Tauren.

Realistically, their pedals always seemed yo do it just right, and are fairly reasonably priced. If I were to stray to another company, it'd probably be to JHS or Wampler (not only do they make nice pedals, they seem like cool dudes and I'd like to support them.)
No worries, You can always start your own and paste a link to the old one.

I have a RV-5 and Modded SD-1 I love. I'd also like a new DM2 waza

~ss

Last edited:

monty

No worries, You can always start your own and paste a link to the old one.

I have a RV-5 and Modded SD-1 I love. I'd also like a new MD2 waza

~ss
I just picked up a MD2 yesterday, really enjoyed putting it through its paces last night. What would you like to see Waza'd on it? Just curious because I thought it sounded really good but I had it at fairly low volumes.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I just picked up a MD2 yesterday, really enjoyed putting it through its paces last night. What would you like to see Waza'd on it? Just curious because I thought it sounded really good but I had it at fairly low volumes.
DOH... Dyslexia strikes again. I meant DM2 the delay. I'll look up the MD2

~ss

Chadley

Silver Supporting Member
Boss chorus is the last word in chorus for me. Even now with the CE-2w that thing is no joke. Two of their best choruses and a vibrato in one box. All the sounds are extremely useful and somehow sound even better the original versions.
Seriously great pedal! I have been loving the vibrato mode lately. My VB-2w has been on the bench.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
wait up:
do some folks believe that Boss hasn't copied a builder smaller than themselves?

natmiss

I currently use a KOT & a TIM for my drives. I could easily go back to 2 BD2's like I used before I fell down the boutique rabbit hole.

When first starting guitar all players go get Boss, because they are the biggest out there. Most eventually wind up replacing those Boss pedals with better alternatives(true bypass versions and rack effect type). I have a ton of Boss pedals and will sell ANY one of them for a reasonable price, and promptly replace them with better versions NOT BOSS. (I even tried Waza thinking the buffer would be better......not....they are tone sucks, that seems to be what Boss actually does best....suck tone from your high dollar Tube amp). Solid state players and modelers love em though.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
I was told by the Boss Roland manufactures rep that the BD2w is basically the Keeley mod.
ok!
i'm pretty sure it goes further back and deeper than that, though my comments won't stop me from using the Boss pedals that i love; just, ya know, trying to get a bit more cosy with reality.

stargazer747

I've had several throughout the decades since the 80s. Always affordable and reliable, right now the only one I have is the Super Chorus CH-1 on my "vintage inspired" pedalboards. Think 80s then think BOSS or MXR for Chorus!

vintage66

Bd-2w kicks a&$. Ph-2r is cool. TU-2 works well enough. Wish I’d bought an FZ-2 for $50 when I had the chance before prices went up. Had a CE-2 and sold it, FL-2 is awight but MXR 2 knobber kills it imo. Sd-1 and Ds-1 are decent enough. I want to try Dm-2w which I’d probably like a lot. I remember in ‘79 or ‘80 seeing them in guitar stores as a kid and each model had a different color how cool they looked.

marshcj

I'd be curious what percentage of big name pros use at least 1 piece of Boss gear in their rig. Would it be pretty high?

megatrav

Silver Supporting Member
Boss pedals are really amazing for so many reasons. The only complaint I have is that I don't really like their overdrive or distortion pedals. Its always something in the high end that just makes me want to turn them off.

Trending Topics