• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What brand of strings do you use? And why?

gazfrome

D'addario NYXL 10-46 on Gretsch and Gibson (24 1/2 ish scale lengths) , 9 - 46 on Fender (25 1/2 ish scale lengths). I used to use Ernie Ball Slinkys, Fender or normal D'addarios with the same string gauges but they just didn't last for my gigging instruments. They would only last one gig, so I had to change strings before every gig as the strings were noticeably dull and not bright sounding any more. I don't mind that so much for guitars I use at home, In fact I quite like it at home for some reason. especially duller sounding wound strings - but not for my gigging instruments. After switching to NYXLs a few years ago I can play at least a dozen gigs - and rehearsals in between - now without changing - and they stay bright and like new.

At first I was worried about spending so much more per set, but I'm actually saving massively by using NYXLs. They feel "new" for so much longer that the extra price is a bargain. They sound great, bend well, stay in tune, don't break and last ages.

stahlhart

Silver Supporting Member
Ernie Ball Primo Slinkies on the 24.75s, GHS 9.5-44 Boomers on the 25s, Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swings on the Rickenbackers.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I’ve been using Ernie Balls for many years, but think it’s time to switch things up. I am curious to know others preferences and the reasoning behind your choices!
I like Ernie Balls and love the springy feel, the ease of a good vibrato and just the overall durability and tone. I've tried other brands which were ok but end up going back to Ernie Ball for some reason. :knitting

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Elixir Optiweb 10-46's - I have several guitars that rotate in and out of service - the Elixirs stay crisp the longest of any and the Opitweb coating is imperceptible to the touch, no flaking or anything - they just sound good for a long time, longer if they just sit for a while. I always buy them just before the holidays when they bring out the buy-2-get 1 free three packs, I stock up for the year, it's worth it to buy on sale.

Attitude Era

Longtime user of Ernie Ball pink pack 9’s, but a GC employee convinced me to try out Dunlop 9’s (likely because he got a greater commission or was told to push those.)

Put the latter on a PRS CE and couldn’t believe how much better they were than the Ernie Balls, since Dunlop isn’t generally what people associate with first when it comes to strings.

Maybe it’s a placebo thing, but they just feel standard issue, if that makes any sense.

greatgalvino

Ernie Ball cobalt slinky. 9’s on my Tele, 10’s on one Les Paul and 11’s on my tuned down Les Paul. Why? I tried them out and didn’t have any complaints… felt good, sounds good, stuck with it. My acoustic is another story, still searching.

Those that use the NYXL’s… do you find they push the mids? I tried them out 5-6 years ago and felt that they changed the sound of the guitar and really pushed the mids. I normally use the regular D’Addario’s but would be willing to try them again unless that’s the case. There’s quite a few suggesting them here so thought I’d ask - thanks!

Scurticus

Elixir on acoustic and electric. I’m hard on strings. These stand up the best for me. And I like the tone.
12’s on the acoustics. Wiessenborn included.
10’s on my strat, LP and the Riviera.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I usually use Ernie Ball or D’addario now because they’re available. When I was in Nashville, I used Curt Mangans. If his strings were available here, I’d use them. I can agree with the fact that Curt is a super nice guy. I met him at NAMM one year and got a free set. That one set was all I needed.

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
DR Pure Blues 10-46 on my electrics, 12-52 on the jazz archtop. The best feeling strings and great tone.

saltbird

All I know is D'Addarios bend noticeably easier than Ernie Balls of the same exact gauge. I learned in another thread it has to do with string mass. That being said I prefer Ernie Balls because they're what I'm used to, which kind of baffles me because I do a lot of bends. Intuitively you'd think I would prefer D'Addarios but they do feel different under the fingers. Not just from the flexibility but the texture as well.

Ernie Balls also seem to never break unless there's a burr or something causing them to. I've gone absurd lengths of time before one breaks which has rarely occurred because I'll end up changing them due to string divots before that happens.

sparcly

This is a great thread! Other than experimenting with "Blue Steel" and similar strings marketed with some technical advantage, I've always just gone for the ubiquitous Coke & Pepsi of strings: Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (green pack) or D'Addario Nickel Wound - 10s.

Mostly it's been the Ernie Ball Green Pack 10s as they seem to last the longest. But I'm gonna come back to this thread and see if there's something trending that everyone loves that I don't know about. Thanks!

stahlhart

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been using Ernie Balls for many years, but think it’s time to switch things up. I am curious to know others preferences and the reasoning behind your choices!
Mainly because the EBs are relatively inexpensive and easy to get locally, and they remind me the most of the old Dean Markley strings with the sticker in the pack that you can't buy any longer.

But the generic electric sets from Just Strings are a recent discovery, I stumbled across them looking for a single wound G that I could put into the EB 2221 set on an acoustic with a pickup that the Mrs. uses, and they have .018. Those are even cheaper than EBs, and really good for the money. Only trouble is that there are only a few gauge sets available -- if they had a 9.5-44 set I'd be all over them.

I also have a custom set of the Thomastik flats put together by ricstrings.com on a Danelectro 12, in addition to the 360/12C63. They're the same strings as those in the Jazz Swing set, .010-.044 and low tension, which really helps with the 12s. They're pricey, but I get at least a year out of them before they go dull and need replacing. The Danelectro in particular is bright, and the T-I flats sort of balance that out.

Curt Mangans are nice also -- I would buy them more often if they were sold locally; for some stupid reason on my part it's hard to pull the trigger on ordering them. Maybe I'll get over that someday.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom