What brand picks are using and the gauge?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Billy Moss, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I use V-Picks and like the Snake Smokey Mountain pick. The gauge is thick at 4.10mm.

I am going to buy some McPherson picks in the 1.14mm size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Wonder if the color/gauge coding as used by Dunlop Tortex is becoming universal or common, as those McPherson picks follow the same colors/gauges as the Dunlop

For 20+ years I used only Dunlop Tortex green .88 ( conventional shape ) on both acoustic or electric guitars

About 10 years ago I switched to the thinner yellow .73 Tortex ( same gauge as a Fender Medium) for electric or acoustic. I like the thinner gauge/grip/ response on strings...
    But about 4-5 years ago I switched to good old Fender Mediums on acoustic only- I like the feel of the pick, as well as the actual 'pick sound' on the strings, as well as the actual tone from the strings,. These picks bring out the best of this guitar. I can hear it

I play all kinds of music including some Bluegrass ( real flatpicking , not just strumming). I know many Bluegrass pros prefer super thick ' Blue Chip' picks and Medium gauge strings, but I prefer the Fender Mediums and light gauge strings for the ' all purpose' nature of music I may play- just a comfort+tone thing

Billy Moss likes this.
  3. MikeMcCourt

MikeMcCourt Member

Purple Tortex Jazz H3s for the last 8-9 years for electric and the standard size orange Tortex for acoustic. Those seem to be the best for me. I've had brief affairs with other picks in that time period, but H3s are home base.

4. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Yeah it seems McPherson use the same gauge system as Dunlop. The cool thing about these picks is you get 3 different points and hole in the middle helps to prevent the pick sliding out of your fingers. They cost $6 for 12 picks.

The V-Pick produces a chirp, but I like the pick for electric and I like the size and it has 3 equal points. This pick cost $10 for each pick, but they last a long time provided it doesn't get lost.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

White Clayton Delrin Triangle .80mm after years of Tortex .88 greens.

The Clayton's have a bit more presence and three tips probably means more plucks and strums per pick.

-bEn r.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  6. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

7. guitarsenal

guitarsenal Silver Supporting Member

For 6 string guitar and mandolin: D’Andrea Pro Plec (Fender 351 shape) 1.5mm.
    For 12 string guitar: Fender 351 light.

8. sturge

sturge Member

I have used Star Picks (mostly the .73mm yellow) forever but I do try other types just to mix it up occasionally. I have tried thicker ones like Dunlop Stubby 2mm...Definitely gets a different sound but I always end up going back to the Star Picks. Never lose grip during hot/sweaty gigs with the stamped star.

+NRG likes this.
  9. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5mm small triangle presently. I dress the bevels a bit and round one corner for strumming. The Gator Grip .71 is good for a brighter, snappier tone.

10. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

I use a personalized intunegp pick. I love them but its basically a custom jazz xl 1mm. I dont know all the rules but if anyone is looking for custom picks $35 for 100 picks with your band logo or whatever is pretty cool. And unlike the dunlop tortex which ive always been fine with, ive yet to have a logo rub off.

11. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Dunlop Jazz Stubby or Dunlop Jazz White Tortex 1.0 mm

12. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

on acoustic: Gravity Gold series 1mm Stealth Standard. Sometimes one of their molded thin picks in .77 or .9 thickness. On electrics I use heavier picks.

Billy Moss likes this.
  13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

I switched to Prime Tone small triangles after decades of playing with Jazz IIIs (followed by a short experimental period where I went various V-picks, Gravity picks, etc.). Dunlop Prime Tones are wonderful picks... great feel and tone, and they last a very long time (+ 3 tips!!!).

fretless and Adagietto like this.
  14. DanR

DanR Member

Dunlop Nylon .88 for acoustic guitar.

15. mannish

mannish Supporting Member

same here i really like the color easier to find when dropped. I have learned to get absurd colors on items such as picks, cooking utensils..etc lots easier to find in a drawer of black handled utensils...hence the pink or lime green utensils.........utensils is a cool word should have been a body part, man my utensils are killing me today

16. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

ctreitzell likes this.
  17. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Love V-picks! I use a pointed snake (4.0mm) for electric, and the Screamer 2.75 for acoustic. Amazing tool.

18. tholmes

tholmes Member

[​IMG]
    For 6 string.

[​IMG]
    For 12 string.

Tom

Barnzy likes this.
  19. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I use a couple of different picks depending on if my guitar is sounding a little "too bright" or not "quite bright" enough. That depends on the room I'm playing in and the strings on the guitar. I really like the Dunlop Primetone picks with raised grip. They're the best ultex material pick on the market. My acoustic gauge is .88. To soften things up from there, I switch to the Herco Flex 75 picks and if I want something in the middle, I like the Herco "Holy Grail" picks.

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Dunlop Tortex 1.0 and .6 for six string acoustic guitars, and recently went to Dunlop Gator 1.5 for bass. I play mostly finger style.